Hitchhiker On Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

eduller

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Found this little guy in the bottom of a bag of java ferns I had just bought. Freaked me out!!

Is this a synodontis eupterus? Or some kind of other synodontis?

I would not like to take it back to the store where I got him because they take abysmal care of their fish. I only ever go there for the plants, and those I quarantine very religiously because they always have sick and dead fish in the tanks. It's a local chain mega-mart type of store, not even a pet store.

If this is a synodontis eupterus, can I keep him in a 60 gallon tank with angelfish, black skirt tetras, and kuhli loaches? Does he need friends of his own species? 

20150317_171802_zpsws2ki9yj.jpg
20150317_171808_zpsrnfwtcpx.jpg

I would not like to take it back to the store where I got him because they take abysmal care of their fish
Lucky find Lucky fish, Keep it for sure

So from what I'm reading, eupterus is better off being the only of his species in a tank but nigriventris likes to be in groups. Anyone have a good way to tell the difference? I haven't seen him swimming upside-down, but he's very small and could be really young still. He's about the size of one of my half grown panda cories, so maybe an inch and a half. I have no problem getting him some friends if he needs them, and the tank can support them easily. It's not heavily stocked.

ah yes, looks like a young featherfin.... youre so lucky! ive only ever had hitch hiking snails!

I was convinced he would be dead when I got home tonight considering he was in about 3/4 of an inch of water in that bag of plants, and then our power went out last night for about 7 hours so he was in a cold, unfiltered quarantine tank. Lots of stress! But I guess 1 fish in a 10 gallon tank stuffed full of quarantined plants probably isn't much of a concern. He was a happy little thing when I got home. He ate a little chunk of scrambled egg (Wednesday is breakfast for dinner night, so all the fish usually get a tiny egg treat - no oil or salt of course) and 1/4 of a shrimp stick. He's in good spirits. Cute little guy! 

i would pass out from happiness if i found a guppy fry on my plants yet alone a syno how big is it btw all i ever seem to find are snails 

Looks like a Synodontis euptera, and even if it is not pretty much all syno species are quite similar, and many are hybrids. So yes its better off with out con-specifics, and wont be a problem for your other fish, but may be a bit territorial and steal some food but other than that you shouldnt have many issues. Heres some more good info >>>  http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/synodontis-euptera/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back