Hillstream Loach

The bottom part of my building kind of pops outward and sometimes I see him stuck to that, im guessing he's resting on that? Also if im getting one stone, should it be reallly round like a ball or very flat like in your pic or what? The only reason im getting the stone is so he can get food from it (since there is no other way to feed him), how would I put food on the stone for him? If I need algae on it for food, how do I get a lot of algae on it before I put it in the tank?

Round is ok if the diameter is sufficiently large (say, 3"+).

If you want to try to use the stone as a dining table, get a few similar flat stones. One is in the tank, and the rest can be used to grow algae on (in a small container under strong light), or attach food to: you can try melting a cube of frozen brine shrimp on a stone, letting it dry up, and putting the stone back into the tank.

It can be flat also right? Basically any shape as long as its big enough? Im afraid if i grow algae or melt cubes on it that my dojo loaches or even worse, my farlowella (an algae eater) is going to eat most of it before the hillstream loach gets on. Can this happen?

Smooth, sufficiently large so that the body can rest on it, flat or somewhat curved does not matter too much, no sharp edges.

The only way to find out is to try. I have no idea if either Farlowella would be interested in shrimp on a rock or if Dojos can get manage eating it (they would be interested). Try, and say what happened.

Also, if at night, I put algae tablets on the stone, would the hillstream go on the stone and eat it? And how do I get algae on the rock before i put it in the tank?

Algae wafers are *usually* taken but they are not the best food. Mixed wafers (Tetra) are better, but nothing beats live algae.

You should be able to grow some yourself: put a few flat stones in a container (1g-2.5g), under strong light, add a lot of fertilizer to the water.

Try frozen shrimp on a rock first, this is something you can do quickly.

Put a cube of frozen shrimp (for example, Brine shrimp with Spirulina) on your stone, let it melt, then let it dry up, then put the stone into the tank, see what happens.

Here is an illustration of what is needed:

cheninew1nk1.jpg

As it happens, this is a new hillstream here, qtank has insufficient algae, so I gave them a few stones from a tank where the fish does not know how to appreciate the goods.....the stones were cleaned up real fast.

Do they stick to the stone when they rest, or do they actually rest without suction cupping to the stone?

They certainly can suck to the stone even when resting, otherwise, if the current is strong they will get carried away. This is probably connected to them preferring to rest on solid surface rather than gravel or sand. Whether they actually suck to the stone when it is not needed....no idea.

We were sold a Hillstream Loach under the name of a Borneo Emperor Loach several months ago. The LFS wasn't incredibly helpful, aside from saying that they wouldn't get too big. We took the wee guy home, and he was dead within a week. As they weren't terribly cheap, I wasn't keen on trying another one, but my husband insisted, and I'm glad he did. The second guy has gone down a storm so far. We keep him in a community tank that's set about about 75F, with some guppies, neons, coolies, a cory, and a betta. We've placed a chunk of bog wood, a trunk-like ornament with fake plants attached, and a decent sized air disc in, and Suki the loach has prospered, and dare I say one of the best algae eaters we've got between our tanks (he seems to love licking the algae that gathers on the fake plants!).

One question, if anyone knows...since they like colder water, would these guys be any good in a Goldfish/coldwater tank? My dad's always looking for bottom/algae feeders, and I think he'd get a kick out of one, if it could survive.

IMHO, not the best idea. The requirements are not identical: goldfish does not need as much current as the hillstreams, someone is bound to be unhappy.
You may also have a problem feeding hillstreams, goldfish will outcompete them easily.

It does work for some people, however. Someone I know tried Gastros in a goldfish tank, and they did not last very long. But Beaufortias were ok.

Hey mikev, its been some time since I have posted on this topic. Even though my current is not that strong and the water is at 78 degrees Farenheit, the hillstream loach seems to be doing very well. I never bought him a stone and I found out he is eating something because every couple of days he poops. He doesnt poop much but im guessing as long as he poops, there is food? The hillstream loach now likes to go on the building somtimes(its not actually a building, there like ruins). He seems very happy. I have one question. I think I have the species Gastromyzon scitulus. I dont know if maybe he is Gastromyzon ctenocephalus. Are there any notable differences between them? Tommorrow if I find my brothers camera, I will take pictures of my hillstream loach so you can see him.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back