Hillstream Loach

But there is no visible algae and he doesnt completely close his mouth. I'm thinking maybe he's gasping? Or is that what they usually do?

Its best to have some algae in the tank for hillstream loaches, i have algae in the tank my hillstream loaches live in but i have also taught them to eat fish flakes by plastering fish flakes just above the water line on the tank sides which have been wettened. It came about completely by accident at first, one day i noticed one of the hillstream loaches nibbling at a fish flake that had got stuck to the glass just above the water line, and ever since then every couple of days i have stuck some fish flakes to the glass just above the water line which the hillstream loaches readily eat. Other than that, i have never seen them eat prepared foods like algae wafers, catfish pelets or cucumber etc.

I totally agree with the others though, hillstream loaches do thrive best in tanks which have a strong cool current and is very airated/oxygenated and has some algae too etc :nod: . If your hillstream loach is constantly hanging around near the water surface or where the current is strongest then it means the tank has too little oxygen in it.

Nope, he hangs out near the bottom. Now for my biggest question that might kill the fish. How do I feed him? He never ate since I have had him and I doubt he ate food at the pet store. I have no algae in my tank. What do i do?

Gastros here are fond of frozen foods and prefer shrimp (brine with spirulina, or mysis) over bloodworms. When feeding, make sure that some food ends up lying on the ground, the fish should be able to find it -- if it is interested. Try both shrimp and bloodworms. Remember: frozen.

Algae is a key factor because the fish will eat some of it before it is ready for other food... Try to get a couple of stones covered with algae.

T-P, nice idea with flakes, but mine have no problem with large flakes simply sunk to the bottom.

Sorry, I forgot to add one thing to the question. My fish tank is all sharp gravel with a building in the middle (he doesnt like the building so he doesnt go on it). Basically all he is on is the glass... so how do i feed him now...

Yep, this is wrong too. Get some flat stones, the fish may like resting on them, but may sit on ground occasionally, cf.

gastroandcheniod0.jpg

With luck some of the stones will get algae on them.

I really should not be commenting on castles, but it is not something any fish encounters in the wild, so...

If I get a stone (im only going to buy one) its probably going to be not near the glass. Probably between the building and the glass. Will the loach notice the stone and go to it because its going to be white, just like the gravel. And does the stone need to be a certain shape because I might get a flatish, short one. Also, won't it take time for algae to get on the stone because my loach is probably starving.

Why only one stone?

Several, about 2" in diameter, flat, will not cost much: it is $1/lb or around. A large stone (say, 5"-7" ball-shape) will make sense if you have a powerhead aiming on it.

Yes, the fish will find the stone(s) and will use them. But Gastros IME will spend most of the time on the tank walls anyway...

Another excellent sitting place for Gastro is an Amazon Sword plant.

I can only have one stone cause that all I have room for in the tank. How big should it be and should it be round or flat. I have no powerhead.

Huh?

A small stone should be 2" == 5cm in diameter. Just how large is the tank? -- it should not be a problem to place 8-10 of these into even a 10g tank...
Go with flat and make sure it is smooth, sharp edges are dangerous.

Its that there are other ornaments in the tank and the only space is on the right side between the main building and glass. The space where I can put stones is 4 inches by 4 inches (maybe a tiny bit more). So, how many and what stones should I put?

little round river rocks should do the trick. I didn't read all the replies so that may have been said already :blush: They also enjoy company of their own kind. I've had a few for years and they've been in numerous tanks. They started off living with huge cichlids then eventually (after tearing down that tank) moved to a 30 long with my kribs, where they still live. I can't say in all the years I've had them that I've seen them eat. But obviously they do.

Thanks, but I think I might need an answer from mikev again. Also i have another question that goes to anyone. I noticed that while the loach is sticking to something, the back part of his front bottom fins (the front flap fin) Keeps moving, like he's waving it. Is there something wrong with him?

Put as many stones in as you can...I cannot say how many exactly. Would be a good idea to have them under strong light, perhaps they will develop some algae.

As for the "fin ventilating" -- perfectly normal. Hillstream sucker loaches do this, and they also do it when sitting on stones.

---

PS. Hillstreams are pretty sensitive to infections, so regardless of where you get the stones (store, beach, another tank), disinfect them before putting them into the tank. Boiling usually is the easiest with stones.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back