High Ph

blazer666_uk

Reaction score
Can someone, with high ph levels in their tank, please re-assure me as to what fish they have in their tank. As I mentioned before I have a ph of 8.5.

The reason I ask this is because I just added 2 guppys and a Molly yesterday and the guppys are NOT happy. they just stay near the surface not moving much. The molly on the otherhand is "enjoying" all the attention from the 2 male mollys I already have!!!! I just dont want to be stuck with having to get mollys!!!!!

Let's see. I have a pH that is higher than yours and I have kept:

Mollies
Bala Sharks
Bristlenose Pleco
Bloodfin Tetras
Blackline Tetras
Dwarf Gouramis
A harem of Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids (who prefer a MUCH lower pH)
Clown Loaches
Ghost Catfish
Some misc. fish that were given to me with my first tank.

If you bought your fish in-town, there have already adjusted to your pH (assuming the lfs uses tap water...which most do). Your problem is likely stress due to water quality. What are your water parameters? How long has your tank been set up? Is it cycled?

My ph is much higher than yours and I have had all of the fish in my sig for more than a month. I didn't have any luck with Guppies though and along with them (3 of them) we have lost a molly and a platy.

taken from a guppies website

The best pH for keeping guppies is pH 6.6 to 6.8. although I can tell you that most guppy keepers don't pay much attention to their pH levels. the best way to know if you have good "guppy" water is to keep a few sprigs of Water Sprite in your tanks. If it grows well, more than likely, so will your guppies.

HTH

The-Wolf said:
taken from a guppies website

The best pH for keeping guppies is pH 6.6 to 6.8. although I can tell you that most guppy keepers don't pay much attention to their pH levels. the best way to know if you have good "guppy" water is to keep a few sprigs of Water Sprite in your tanks. If it grows well, more than likely, so will your guppies.

HTH
:blink:

I'd say the best pH for a guppy is 7-8.5. I don't know where they got the idea that a slightly acidic pH would be good for them. The guppy is found in all kinds of waters today, but they originally came from places with a slightly alkaline pH.

My guess is that the guppies got into a shock if the pH in the water they came from was lower than yours.

I agree, guppies don't come from acidic waters and now a days they are everywhere in all sorts of water and are considered highly adaptable - I'd test your water for ammonia/nitrItes etc and most likely you'll find that's the problem. BTW, mollies should be kept at a ratio of 2 females to every one male - it sounds like you only have on female and 2 males? What size tank? Is it cycled? Water params? What about the water params at your LFS?

Most reactions

Back