High PH

Fishstix

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just tested it and it's at 7.6. Ammonia and Nitrites are at .25. I'm 10 days into a cycle with Zebra Danios. Should i be concerned by this high PH reading?

First off to answer the initial question NO dont worry about the PH. As for where you are in the cycle i think is fine but you could have started with another couple of danios. Do you have any seed material?

tstenback said:
First off to answer the initial question NO dont worry about the PH. As for where you are in the cycle i think is fine but you could have started with another couple of danios. Do you have any seed material?
No seed material. Should i add a couple more Danios or just leave the 4 as is?

Fishstix... the reason I asked about your tap water pH reading is because if your tapwater is different, there's a reason your tank's pH is changing, and that could be a problem. If your tapwater is 7.6, you're fine with that.

Seed material would be best such as filter material, gravel, plants, ornaments from an existing tank such as from a friend or LFS. You can certainly add a couple of more danios for sure. The unwritten (well actually it is written all over this site) rule is 1 fish for every 5 gals when cycling with fish. You have 30 gals so six fish. Check your tap water PH like heresmike suggested it will let you know if something is going on with the PH in your tank. HTH :)

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I will let you know what happens. :D

tstenback said:
Seed material would be best such as filter material, gravel, plants, ornaments from an existing tank such as from a friend or LFS. You can certainly add a couple of more danios for sure. The unwritten (well actually it is written all over this site) rule is 1 fish for every 5 gals when cycling with fish. You have 30 gals so six fish. Check your tap water PH like heresmike suggested it will let you know if something is going on with the PH in your tank. HTH :)
I just checked the tap water and it has the same PH as the tank water.

Your ph isn't high at all to be honest and i wouldn't worry about it. It will only become a problem if you decide to keep some of the more delicate tetras etc later on. Also dont go looking for too many reasons for changing ph while a tank is cycling. fluctuations in ph are quite normal in a cycling tank. I would also say you could do with a couple more fish but if you dont want more danios dont get them. your tank Willl still cycle.

On a side note.. quite a while ago now i cycled a 50 gallon tank with only 6 danios and all was fine. i didnt really see huge ammonia spike and nitrites remained under 1 all the time. As long as you stock gradually afterwards it isnt a problem. you should stock gradually anyway. Only a third of your current stock every week or two.

So dont rush out to buy more danios if your not really wanting to keep more danios in the first place.

HTH

Most reactions

Back