High Nitrate Levels

Duck and Dive

Fish Herder
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
1,077
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
England, South East
Hi

My Nitarte level in both my tanks are very high everything else is fine. These are the water propoties:

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

Ph 6.5

Nitrate 400

What can I do? Will it affect the fish they seem to be fine, my guppies are breeding and the goldfish are happy.
 
Wow thats high nitrate reading.
Size of each tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
When did you last rinse your sponges in old tank water.
 
Sorry it in your sig.
The tanks way to small for the goldifsh I would rehome them.
The first goldfish alone need 20 gallons, then 10 gallons for every other goldfish added.
They are massive waste producers and need double the filter size to the tank.

Can't believe that the other water stats are fine with 2 goldfish in a 6 gallon.

The guppy tank is also severely overstocke with 45 fry, I would rehome the fry maybe sell them to the lfs.

For now I would do a water change, and squeeze one of your filter sponges in old tank water.
 
I have to do water changes ever 5-7 days on each tank. I am Getting a 215L soon for the guppies and put the goldfish in the 60L biorb and use the goldfish tank as a rearing tank for fry.
 
Sorry even putting the goldfish in a biorb is no good the tanks still to small, no way would the filter be any good to keep up with the waste.
Goldfish need lengh in fish tanks as they grow big and need room to move.
You could use the 6 gallon for the fry.
I would phone the lfs up now and see if they will take the fry off your hands.


http://www.fishforums.net/content/Coldwate...-fish-in-tanks/
 
What size filter do you have in the goldfish tank.
Not sure on the biorb, if you can sell the fry, then the stocking will be fine in the biorb.
For the two goldfish you have you need a 30 gallon tank or bigger, plus a 60 gallon filter.
 
In the goldfish tank I have a undergravel filter that covers the whole base of the tank.
I will try to sell some of the guppy fry that have almost reached adult size to my LFS.
 
Some lfs will even take babies if they have fry tanks.
Undergravel filters are no good for goldfish as they tend to blog up with the waste.
I would buy a 20 gallon filter for now till you can get the bigger tank.
If not I would rehome the goldifsh.
 
That would be fine for now.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top