Hi, newbie here to the forum and looking for advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aqua Gal

Reaction score
Bought a Fluval Flex 57 litre tank at the weekend. Set it up, fishless cycling, got gravel and two pieces of decorative wood, all cleaned thoroughly and crystal clear water. Been okay until this morning and the water is cloudy !!! Is this just the bacterial bloom? Ammonia test done and it is currently at 1.0 ppm (light green). Do I just wait this out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

The white cloudiness is most likely a bacterial bloom, but not the bacteria we want to grow. The bloom bacteria feed on organic matter, they multiply very quickly and live free floating in the water. They'll die and the water will clear once they've eaten all their food, but as every tank is different it is impossible to say how long it will take. Water changes don't help because they multiply so quickly.

How are you doing the cycle? Are you adding ammonia, fish food or something else? I ask because it is usual to use 3ppm ammonia to cycle with as this grows more than enough bacteria needed by a tank of fish.

Thanks for the response. I haven't actually added anything into the tank, just water, the gravel and the wood decorations. Only had it up and running since Saturday with the pump running etc. No fish or anything in it as doing a fish less cycle. I have got some fish flakes, should I add some to boost it along?

A fishless cycle is where you add ammonia to grow the filter bacteria before fish are added to the tank. It can be done using fish food but it is much more controlable using a bottle of ammonia solution and following this method https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Tetra Safe Start added to the tank will help speed up the cycle.

But do you intend getting live plants? if you do, there is another way to cycle the tank.

Hello and welcome to to the forum! :hi:

If you got live plants, that would be another way to cycle your tank. I can give you a list of beginner plants if you want. :)

Hello and welcome to to the forum! :hi:

If you got live plants, that would be another way to cycle your tank. I can give you a list of beginner plants if you want. :)
Hi. A list of beginner plants would be great as I need to order some, really short supply in local aquarium shops here due to the coronavirus. So if I order some online I can get what I need and hopefully they will be easier for me to look after. Thank you

A fishless cycle is where you add ammonia to grow the filter bacteria before fish are added to the tank. It can be done using fish food but it is much more controlable using a bottle of ammonia solution and following this method https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Tetra Safe Start added to the tank will help speed up the cycle.

But do you intend getting live plants? if you do, there is another way to cycle the tank.
I am intending to get live plants, so would prefer this route. I need to order some and PheonixKingZ
and has just offered to send me a list of beginner plants. We are in very short supply of live plants at the moment in local aquarium shops due to the Coronavirus, so am going to get the ones I want online

Since you do intend live plants you don't need to add fish food or ammonia. Once you get the plants, plant them or attach them to decor (depending what they are) then wait for signs they are actively growing. Once you are certain the plants aren't about to die, get the first batch of fish, and monitor ammonia and nitrite daily until you are sure they are staying at zero - but if they show a reading above zero, do a water change. Wait a week or two of zeros before getting the next batch of fish.

Some plants are slow growing (eg Java fern, anubias) and some are fast growing. It's fast growers that you need as they'll take up the ammonia made by the fish faster than the slow growers. And you need more than the odd couple of plants. Floating plants are best of all because they are near the lights and they can get CO2 from the air.

Members report that Tropica is good for plants, and I like k2aqua on Ebay as their plants are shrimp safe (I have shrimps!)

(If Pheonix recommends anacharis, you'll more likely find it as elodea or egeria in the UK)

Since you do intend live plants you don't need to add fish food or ammonia. Once you get the plants, plant them or attach them to decor (depending what they are) then wait for signs they are actively growing. Once you are certain the plants aren't about to die, get the first batch of fish, and monitor ammonia and nitrite daily until you are sure they are staying at zero - but if they show a reading above zero, do a water change. Wait a week or two of zeros before getting the next batch of fish.

Some plants are slow growing (eg Java fern, anubias) and some are fast growing. It's fast growers that you need as they'll take up the ammonia made by the fish faster than the slow growers. And you need more than the odd couple of plants. Floating plants are best of all because they are near the lights and they can get CO2 from the air.

Members report that Tropica is good for plants, and I like k2aqua on Ebay as their plants are shrimp safe (I have shrimps!)

(If Pheonix recommends anacharis, you'll more likely find it as elodea or egeria in the UK)
Thanks for the advice on the the live plants for cycling the tank and the suppliers. Really appreciate your help, thank you

Hello and welcome to the forum. Some good fast growing plants are moneywort, hornwort, water sprite and anacharis (elodea/egeria) You can just let them float or plant then in the gravel. I do planted/silent cycles on all my tanks and believe it is the best way to cycle a tank. Water sprite and anacharis are my favorites,you can also use floating plants like frog bite. Like @essjay said make sure you have them showing signs of growth before you add the fish. For me it is usually 2 weeks after I put the plants in the tank. Good luck.

Anacharis and water sprite are great. These photos were taken a few days apart during my silent cycle.
A5F18399-D167-46E7-BBCB-191F8FFD218E.jpeg

Another comparison as of Saturday evening just gone. They were recommended to me by this forum and I will happily back that recommendation up. My ammonia and nitrite has always been 0. Nitrate I struggle with slightly too, but it’s never higher than 20.

So yeh, 100% get some anacharis and water sprite. They look great, grow great, help with your water quality and the majority of fish will love them.

Attachments

• 913D982A-CA17-48D8-A589-24ABE3E69D82.jpeg
    913D982A-CA17-48D8-A589-24ABE3E69D82.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 75
Hello and welcome to the forum. Some good fast growing plants are moneywort, hornwort, water sprite and anacharis (elodea/egeria) You can just let them float or plant then in the gravel. I do planted/silent cycles on all my tanks and believe it is the best way to cycle a tank. Water sprite and anacharis are my favorites,you can also use floating plants like frog bite. Like @essjay said make sure you have them showing signs of growth before you add the fish. For me it is usually 2 weeks after I put the plants in the tank. Good luck.
Thank you for the advice, the water sprite looks lovely, nice coverage

Most reactions

trending

Back