Hi All

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phoenix2081

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
First time I have ventured into this area of the forum. So as you will probably guess I am totally new to marine setups. 

I would love a 6ft tank but unfortunately I haven't won euro millions yet. 

I have several books on my kindle that I am reading and keep re-reading and due to budget I am looking at starting a nano tank once I have gathered enough information. My wife likes clown fish and anenomes surprise. But from reading Anenomes grow too large for nano tanks and that is the same for torch coral. 

This is what I am thinking so far from research: 

Looking at this nano 30l: http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/glass-aquariums/microhabitat-30-nano-reef-aquarium.html?ref=googlebase&gclid=CMuep8LRkLYCFZDKtAod3D0ApA

Stock I was looking at a type of goby (I do like the look of the dracula goby) and a pistol shrimp pair. 

Clean up crew: Looking at cleaner shrimps and a hermit crab (not sure of quantities so advice needed please) 

Would also like a type of small urchin.

For corals I was looking at: Pulsing xenia, feather dusters, a type of polyp (saw a nice yellow one, http://plaza.ufl.edu/bettie/coralreef.html), maybe a branching coral  and maybe mushroom coral. 

Obviously coral is not my strong point right now and more reading needs to be done. But any advice would be appreciated in preperation for my planning. 

Would I be able to get a star fish also? 

I am looking at RO units ready as I do plan on expanding to larger tanks. Are there any preferances or anything I should look for or look out for?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions.

Thanking you in advance

Michael

Expensive little tanks... but well worth it! There is a similar but smaller (15L to match the smaller TMC one) called an IQ13 made by Superfish and other similar makes where you can save money but as much as I hate to say it... these tanks do have it for the sheer quality of build in comparison to the others! I wont say they are perfect... but they are better!

As for stocking.. well... actually... your stocking isn't all that bad!! A few points though...

- Tank is way too small for starfish or urchins (though you may get some freebie Asterina starfish on your liverock and IMO they are cute!), urchings will wreck your tank... shortly before they end up starving..... likewise with starfish....

- Goby/shrimp pairing is a lovely idea :)

few other fish ideas:

blue/gold neon gobies
trimma sp gobies
sailfin blennies
tailspot blenny
coral goby
rainfords goby
hectors goby

then others such as:

porcelain crab
pom pom crab
sexy shrimp
coral shrimp

- 1 cleaner shrimp MAX but personally... id say they just take up so much room!! why have one huge (and with whiskers etc they do get big!) cleaner shrimp when you can have a few sexy shrimp and a few more crabs etc.

-As for corals, start off with your basics, mushrooms, polyps and feather dusters (a worm, not a coral!!) are great to start off with!! Look up Zoanthids (Zoas), both they and mushrooms grow in every colour under the sun! Personally... I could have an entire tank full and not need anything more exciting! To me, zoas are kind of like my Orchids, you can get cheap generic ones from shops or look about online and find some stunning named specimens that..when you have such a small tank... its worth the £10 for only 3 heads of zoas knowing they spread and you don't need many to fill tank!

Personally, i'd stick with those and leave other corals until the tank is at last 6 months + as it gives *you* the chance to get to know your tank :) lots of things to learn going salty! Part of the fun of it, its a really project and there is no hurry! Personally, I find the thing that surprises most people with salt nanos is just how much you need to top tank up with fresh water! I have a lidless 15L tank that can need anywhere between 200ml and 1L or RO added every day to counteract evaporation! (remember that as water evaporates, salinity rises fast as salt doesn't evaporate!).

Can take time to get used to your tanks needs before spending out money on corals that might not only die if salinity etc is out but wipe out everything :(

Best investment?... get a Refractometer and a decent test kit! Hear the Red Sea test kits are good! Wont be cheap... maybe nearly another £80 to get test kits and refractometer but they are so so important! (don't be fooled by test strips and hygrometers.. they are mere toys and rarely accurate).

I know from tropical that tes strips are not good. I am looking at a few D&D refractometers and I have actually started the project now. 

Got an aquanano 40 which is 55L and I am converting the parts that came with to be suitable. Buying a quadspec tile later. If anyone knows of any timers that work with them that would be great. I have sent an email anyway and will post the reply when I get one incase anyone else wants to know.

Having fun planning this so far. 

I realised yesterday that it was a worm and I sounded like a divvy but hey ho all part of the learning haha. 

Yeah I do like Zoas =D

Well, its not obviously a worm unless you poke them :p tell you what... those dusters are really gross when they come out of their tube!! I have a small white one in the 15L nano and now and again it comes out to go for a walk about the tank before returning, not entirely sure why though LOL. But they have weird bodies!

Or when you pick up a duster tube, you can feel the worm squirming inside it!

As for Zoas... I love the effect in these two photos! Maybe not zoa colours I would chose but stunning all the same! As much as I dislike pink.. I *need* pink zoas haha

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy98/chrismoore123/805bc91b.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u292/hughesy88_photos/0a31352f.jpg

Just got a marine reed led 36 W quadspec tile with mounting brackets for a reduced £70.00. Happy days so far just need a few more bits like a better heater and to order my protein skimmer.  Build housing for my media with egg crate.

That will be the tank sorted and it is on to refractometer, test kit,. Then to get the rock and sand. 

Is it true you place your rock down and scape it before adding the sand?  

Think to start I will buy pre made water from my LFS and do it that way until I take the plunge into buying a ro unit.. Any good ones to look out for without breaking the bank? 

With powerheads I am looking at a Hydor Koralia nano 900 lph. Would this be enough? 

If you want a starfish, you might be able to get a small brittle star in there

That is what I was looking at the small brittle. 

Got all the gear now bar an auto top up system, refractometer and test kit just need to move house and get started.

Most reactions

trending

Back