Hermit crab tank ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

thuctoanvietnamese

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm planning on setting up a small seawater tank for hermit crab.I collect them at the shore.But I have no idea how to do that because im new to seawater

If the hermit crabs are running around on land, they don't live in sea water. The small ones can be kept in an aquarium with a layer of beach sand on the bottom, a container of fresh dechlorinated water, a container of sea water, and some wood or ornaments for them to hide under during the day. They eat just about anything ranging from fish food, bits of fruit and vegetables (don't give them onion or onion relatives, no potatoe and no citrus).

-------------------------
If the hermit crabs are living in the ocean, then you need to set up a marine/ salt water aquarium and cycle it to develop the beneficial filter bacteria. This takes around 4-6 weeks. Once the tank has cycled, you can add some rocks, ornaments and the crabs. They will eat anything and most people feed them fish pellets that sink.

If the hermit crabs are running around on land, they don't live in sea water. The small ones can be kept in an aquarium with a layer of beach sand on the bottom, a container of fresh dechlorinated water, a container of sea water, and some wood or ornaments for them to hide under during the day. They eat just about anything ranging from fish food, bits of fruit and vegetables (don't give them onion or onion relatives, no potatoe and no citrus).

-------------------------
If the hermit crabs are living in the ocean, then you need to set up a marine/ salt water aquarium and cycle it to develop the beneficial filter bacteria. This takes around 4-6 weeks. Once the tank has cycled, you can add some rocks, ornaments and the crabs. They will eat anything and most people feed them fish pellets that sink.
Im planning on the marine variety.i collect them at the beach,can i take seawater directly ?no LFS sell salt in my area

Yes you can use natural sea water from the ocean to fill up the tank. Just avoid getting it from harbours where there are lots of boats, or beaches with lots of people. Harbours can have oil and fuel on the water and popular beaches can have sunscreen from people in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back