Helpp Everythings Dying .......again

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

paradice

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So my partner bought the fluval roma 125 from pets at home in december after cycling he added...over a few months 2corys 5 indian guarmis dozen neons 3 balas and a pleco o and some guppys he had the internal filter thst came with it and a fluval 206 external everything part from nitrates were 0 ph 7 then april his fish were dying handfulls at a time water parametres still fine then I noticed some were looking white and stringy so I used some waterlife is it mylazane or something haven't gt the bottle to tell u now followed 5 days of treatment still fish were dying eyes dissappearing getting covered in stringy white stuff not producing mucus sharks literally swimming round with no heads after the meds ammonia snook up due to the medication killing the good and bacteria off we were told I did pc reg to keep that down by the end of april only 1 mega strong guarmi was left..I took the bold and stupid choice to move him to my molly n platty tank n he's thankfully thriving now so I made my psrtner empty his tank wash gravel glass decor and start again added new plants but didn't put devor in yet so I helpd him there reattached filters got it running we went away in june when we got back cycle was finished ammonia was gone was ready to go so out of my 180 which params are fine I gave him 2 paradice and 3 guarmis and 3 congo tetra all of which are over a year old he added thm by floating and slowly adding his water then netting them out 2 hours later only my 2 paradise are alive but param n temp are still fine help

hi paradice and
welcomeani.gif
 to TFF!
Did you also check the nitrIte levels when you decided it was cycled? The filter needs 2 lots of bacteria to be reducing both ammonia and nitrIte to 0 within 24 hrs. Do you use test strips or liquid tests? It would be helpful to have readings like temperature as well as the actual numbers for your test results for his tank rather than yours.
Not sure what devor is - ammonia source, chlorine remover? EDIT: decor?

Hey thanx for replyin decoration ie boats n stuff api liquid tester temps 76 n they were his results myn are also perfect his are ph 7 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 nitrate 40 60 ish i have a feeling some sort of parasite is lingering need help as im movin his home soon n wnt to transfer my fish he took the 2 barely alive paradise fish out of tht tank n put them in his 60 n thyv perked up leaves us with a 'killer tank ' tho

You've got alternative accommodation for his fish so that's good! Not sure what to suggest about the "killer" tank other than stripping it right down and starting again with new filter media, substrate etc. in case something is lurking in there.
You've bought some time by moving them altho if what they have is contagious they should be kept away from other fish in the meantime. Is there any physical change to their appearance that you could take a picture of and post?

No not this wave thy were all at the bottom but noses upward i have tried stirippin tank dint replace media but i did wash it all out the 1st wave that killed the 1st lot symptons were white fuzz and white string thickyly covering them and not fin rot but quite literally rotting chunks of body ive ran mefix fru the filters o he had no fish left all in all hes lost 50 fish to the tank only 1 lived the whole wave and i givee him 8 fish las nyt wiv in 90mins 6 were dead

Other than replacing everything you can rather than treating it I don't know what else to suggest, Paradice!

o and we use stress coat ±
Everythin as in tank n all would i be covered within the warentee for this or is there anyway to get round it thanks for your help !

I don't think the warranty will cover for infections like this. I meant replace the media such as any ceramic beads and/or sponges and the substrate rather than the actual equipment.

Would help to know what brand of equipment you are using - e.g. filter, heater etc.
Won't be able top respond for a while as I have to go out now.

Thank again all fluval fluval external 206 aswell as the fluval internal that came with it

The Roma 125 comes with the Fluval U3 and as stated by Paradice he/she is also using the Fluval 206.

It seems odd that they suddenly lost all the fish to an infection.

At the time of the infection and when things started dying - what was the last fish added to the tank and how long was there in between adding that fish and the others dying?

I presume when you returned from being away after the tank was initially emptied and cleaned you didn't use anything except wait for the Ammonia to disappear correct?

And when you started the tank to begin with you just slowly added fish and did what is classed as a 'fish in cycle'?

Just clarifying a few things for myself.

Hi fish crazy yes originally did a cycle with fish n second time with out 2nd time it was defo cycled as b4 we went away higfh ammonia was present im thinking its a parasite but how will ino when its safe toputr fput fish in andd a ghost fish is that the big black loachlooking fish or a knife tail death started 3 weeks after that

Is it possible the tank is being contaminated by something that is eating away at the fish?  Do you use the same products in both of your tanks?

paradice said:
Hi fish crazy yes originally did a cycle with fish n second time with out 2nd time it was defo cycled as b4 we went away higfh ammonia was present im thinking its a parasite but how will ino when its safe toputr fput fish in andd a ghost fish is that the big black loachlooking fish or a knife tail death started 3 weeks after that

The Ghost Knife Fish (also too large for your tank) - was that brought from a different fish shop compared to the others? Anything different that you did like that?

At the time it wasnt but yes ino it wasnt ideally remember tho this is my partner im not that daft erm we buy from a few different nothing unusual yes we use the same products allthough my partner loves ammonia remover which i dnt use nothing better then reg wc i think and yes i do think sommats contaminated how can i fix this

paradice said:
At the time it wasnt but yes ino it wasnt ideally remember tho this is my partner im not that daft erm we buy from a few different nothing unusual yes we use the same products allthough my partner loves ammonia remover which i dnt use nothing better then reg wc i think and yes i do think sommats contaminated how can i fix this

Take everything out so it's just a glass tank. Replace everything. Maybe even a new filter if not take all the media out of the old one and replace. Done - fresh tank. Make sure everything is scrubbed, leave it for a few months to dry and whatever to die off.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back