My friend has just bought a fish tank, 100l. I said I would help him out by giving some mature media. I have his filter foam pads and figured I could just add them to my filter. Will this work and how long would I need to leave them in?
You would have to leave them in for a couple of weeks.
If it were me I'd half of your pads for half of his. EG. If you have 2 pads then take one out and replace with one of his.
This way he can stock his tank today (or whichever day you give them to him).
Just advise him he wants roughly half the amount of fish there are in your tank to start with. As it's a new tank, and the bacteria will be going into 'new' water as opposed to the water they are accustomed to in your tank, it could take the bacteria a bit longer than usual to start replicating again.
Shouldn't be too much of a problem. The bacteria (being in the conditions they're used to), should multiply quickly to replace the ones that were lost.
Thing is your fish only create enough waste to support 'X' amount of bacteria. If you put 2 new filter pads in then in theory eventually you would end up with 1/4 of your bacteria on each pad (give or take).
So when you give your friend his 2 pads back that's half of your bacteria gone.
Same as if you just swap half of your pads straight away.
No it isn't cause the water out of your tap is EXACTLY what the bacteria has grown in.
There really is no problem...
The filter bacteria will multiply rapidly as their lifecycle is so short. Just keep an eye on your water tests for a couple of days after you swap the media as you may have a little ammonia or nitrite spike, be ready to do water changes if necessary.