What's new

Help

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Cbauer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have this 40 gal tank that has been unchanged for 3+ years with all of the existing fish maintaining health...I wanted to add fresh plants and didnt research enough. Now 1 week later my very large 5 yr old pictus catfish is covered in fungus. Plants are removed. I did a 25% water change. How should I treat and with what?
16704246577978806177934387973721.jpg

To be honest, I can't see any fungus in the photo. There is a suggestion of excess mucous which is usually caused by something in the water irritating the fish.
Do you have any more photos which show the issue more clearly?

How long did this happen after adding the plants? Plants grown in the far east often have snail killing chemicals or insecticide on them which could have caused problems for this fish if the symptoms appeared shortly after the plants were put in the tank.

So hard to get good photos. There is white cotton looking whisp on his left gill and along top of tail fin. All fins clamped a bit.

I got the plants last Thursday so 6 days. Noticed catfish surfing top of tank yesterday so immediately started researching

Attachments

• 16704291921266520303219755317582.jpg
    16704291921266520303219755317582.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 16704292121398871027211772372961.jpg
    16704292121398871027211772372961.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 30
  • 16704292295978206852529105891360.jpg
    16704292295978206852529105891360.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 30
I'm not very good with illnesses but it still doesn't look like fungus to me - that looks like cotton wool stuck on the fish. But it does look like what other members have said in other cases is excess mucous.

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

I'm not very good with illnesses but it still doesn't look like fungus to me - that looks like cotton wool stuck on the fish. But it does look like what other members have said in other cases is excess mucous.

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
GH - 60, KH - 0, PH - 6.5, NO2 - 0, NO3 - 20

Those figures look OK. If there had been any ammonia or nitrite, or nitrate much higher that could have been a cause, but that's ruled out now.

I still think there may have been something on the plants that this fish is sensitive too.
I know we live in different countries with different laws, but in the EU and in the UK while we were in the EU, all plants imported from countries where Pomacea snails (apple snails) are endemic have to be treated with snail killer and if such plants were put into a tank with shrimps or snails, the chemical killed them. I do not know if plants in the US are treated with snail killers or insecticides but this is the type of thing to be wary about.
I would do a few large water changes and if you don't already, run some carbon in the filter to remove any possible contamination from the plants.

Those figures look OK. If there had been any ammonia or nitrite, or nitrate much higher that could have been a cause, but that's ruled out now.

I still think there may have been something on the plants that this fish is sensitive too.
I know we live in different countries with different laws, but in the EU and in the UK while we were in the EU, all plants imported from countries where Pomacea snails (apple snails) are endemic have to be treated with snail killer and if such plants were put into a tank with shrimps or snails, the chemical killed them. I do not know if plants in the US are treated with snail killers or insecticides but this is the type of thing to be wary about.
I would do a few large water changes and if you don't already, run some carbon in the filter to remove any possible contamination from the plants.
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback. I've had this guy for so many years and it kills me that I made a change that impacted him this way. I'll keep a close eye and continue 25% water changes for the next little bit. I would like to avoid medications if possible and the rest of the tank mates appear healthy so I'm hoping he pulls through

Thank you. I appreciate your feedback. I've had this guy for so many years and it kills me that I made a change that impacted him this way. I'll keep a close eye and continue 25% water changes for the next little bit. I would like to avoid medications if possible and the rest of the tank mates appear healthy so I'm hoping he pulls through
The big guy looks a bit better today. Still clamped fins but alot less mucous

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back