Help!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

It may be that Brita has changed their system since I had one, or that they are different in the USA than the UK. You really need to do a few tests to see just how much the filter changes the pH if at all.
Run some tap water and test the pH immediately. Run some water through the Brita filter and test that immediately. If it's a jug filter, collect some freshly filtered water not water that's been standing in the jug.
Then run a glass of tap water and a glass of freshly filtered water, leave them to stand overnight and test the pH of both. You may well find that the tap water pH changes on standing. Comparing tap and filter water will show if the filter changes the pH - for example, if your tap water is pH 8, then the filter water at 7 is a lot lower.

Bottled water needs care. If it is pure water with nothing dissolved in it, you need to add minerals. If it does have minerals in, you need to use the same brand at every water change as different brands have different amounts of minerals.

Once the tank is cycled, tap water will be OK to use if you use a water conditioner which detoxifies ammonia for 24 hours. A cycled tank can remove that ammonia before it has chance to become toxic again. But you would need to chnage slowly from bottled water to tap water.
But you are doing a fish-in cycle so you don't have enough bacteria to remove the ammonia in the tap water.
1 ppm sounds quite high - does your water provider give a water quality report on its website? That should tell you if there is a maximum allowed level.

One other possible solution would be to keep some water in a container. Treat it with water conditioner to split the chloramine. Then have live plants in the container - anacharis or a floating plant. Plants take up ammonia as fertilser and can remove the ammonia from your tap water before you use it in the tank. But that would depend on whether having a large container of water with a light over it is possible for you.

It may be that Brita has changed their system since I had one, or that they are different in the USA than the UK. You really need to do a few tests to see just how much the filter changes the pH if at all.
Run some tap water and test the pH immediately. Run some water through the Brita filter and test that immediately. If it's a jug filter, collect some freshly filtered water not water that's been standing in the jug.
Then run a glass of tap water and a glass of freshly filtered water, leave them to stand overnight and test the pH of both. You may well find that the tap water pH changes on standing. Comparing tap and filter water will show if the filter changes the pH - for example, if your tap water is pH 8, then the filter water at 7 is a lot lower.

Bottled water needs care. If it is pure water with nothing dissolved in it, you need to add minerals. If it does have minerals in, you need to use the same brand at every water change as different brands have different amounts of minerals.

Once the tank is cycled, tap water will be OK to use if you use a water conditioner which detoxifies ammonia for 24 hours. A cycled tank can remove that ammonia before it has chance to become toxic again. But you would need to chnage slowly from bottled water to tap water.
But you are doing a fish-in cycle so you don't have enough bacteria to remove the ammonia in the tap water.
1 ppm sounds quite high - does your water provider give a water quality report on its website? That should tell you if there is a maximum allowed level.

One other possible solution would be to keep some water in a container. Treat it with water conditioner to split the chloramine. Then have live plants in the container - anacharis or a floating plant. Plants take up ammonia as fertilser and can remove the ammonia from your tap water before you use it in the tank. But that would depend on whether having a large container of water with a light over it is possible for you.
Having that planted tank would be ideal but I unfortunately donā€™t think I can pull that off. I did however decide to start over, per a piece of advice from an employee at the small local pet store I go to. I have the fish in a smaller tank right now while their big tank cycles. I changed the substrate and rinsed everything in hot water, today is day 2 of my cycling. Iā€™ve added some bacteria in so weā€™ll see if that does anything. How long do you think my 2 fish will be ok in a 1 gallon? It has a water bubbler but no filter. I was just thinking Iā€™d do little water changes daily.

Without a filter - a cycled filter - 2 fish in 1 gallon won't work I'm afraid. The ammonia would build up so fast it would probably kill the fish.

I occurred to me after the last post - zeolite. This adsorbs ammonia, but you don't want to use it in the fish tank as it would strave the filter bacteria and stop the colony developing. But it could be used to remove the ammonia from your tap water before putting it in the tank. If you could run a small filter filled with zeolite in a plastic tote of water with water conditioner added, that should remove the ammonia for water changes during cycling. You would need to expereiment to see how long it took to remove the ammonia, but once you knew, just do a test before starting a water change to make sure all the ammonia had gone.
Zeolite does get full. I think it can be recharged, or even just replaced.

Without a filter - a cycled filter - 2 fish in 1 gallon won't work I'm afraid. The ammonia would build up so fast it would probably kill the fish.

I occurred to me after the last post - zeolite. This adsorbs ammonia, but you don't want to use it in the fish tank as it would strave the filter bacteria and stop the colony developing. But it could be used to remove the ammonia from your tap water before putting it in the tank. If you could run a small filter filled with zeolite in a plastic tote of water with water conditioner added, that should remove the ammonia for water changes during cycling. You would need to expereiment to see how long it took to remove the ammonia, but once you knew, just do a test before starting a water change to make sure all the ammonia had gone.
Zeolite does get full. I think it can be recharged, or even just replaced.
Do you think I should risk just returning the fish to the tank? Itā€™s still cycling but I can keep a close eye on the parameters and do water changes... Iā€™m sort of stuck, I donā€™t know what to do from here

Most reactions

trending

Back