Help!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

162 ppm is a bit harder than 107, at the top end of soft but still lower than mollies need. It converts to 9.1 dH.

Your LFS might have been using the same hardness definitions as UK water companies - they say 150 to 200 ppm is 'moderately hard' which is very misleading, and why we always say to ask for numbers.

Thanks. Is my water hard enough for endlers livebearers or platies?
What should I do with my other fish who need harder water?

It's really a bit too low for guppies and endlers though emeraldking has said they can be kept in water softer than Seriously Fish says so you may be OK with them. Mollies, though, do need hard water.

Would your LFS take the mollies? Do you know anyone who keeps them?

I don't know anyone who keeps them although I can check with my LFS. Is there anything I could get that could raise the GH to the point where I could keep the mollies? I know most additives that mess with the water hardness aren't a good idea but I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.

You would need 2 tanks, one for soft water fish and one for hard water fish.
The one for hard water fish could be 'hardened' by using limestone rocks or crushed coral in the filter, and by adding something like Seachem Replenish. This is added to the the water water before it is put in the tank and at the same dose rate for every bucketful to keep the hardness stable. You would need to buy an accurate GH tester (a liquid one) so that when you started using the 'hardening' product (replenish or something someone else recommends) you can test to see how much of the product you need to add to get the GH you need.

Ok thank you. I use seachem fresh trace once a week. I'm not sure if that hardens the water but I dose it in my tank every Monday night. I got my GH tested on Monday morning so I hadn't put the fresh trace in yet.

I'm also wondering since the person who tested my GH, PH, and KH also tested my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and ended up redoing the test a few times because they messed it up. They ended up giving me inaccurate readings on my Ammonia and nitrite. Could they have tested my water hardness inaccuratley too?

The person who tested my water hardness also said they should go find someone else to test the GH, KH, and PH since they aren't used to testing it. They ended up testing it anyways though without help.

It could well be. If they were so incompetent they got ammonia and nitrite wrong I wouldn't believe anything they say.

Does your water provider's website give a number for your hardness?

Seachem fresh trace won't affect hardness as it contains only trace elements.

I can't find out what's in it as when I google it, seachem says I have to sign in to access their site ???? I had to look at other websites selling it but they don't say much.

that's interesting. I didn't know fish could get strokes. Is there any way to prevent that from happening to any of my other fish?
Yes, fish can get a stroke as well despite of their tiny brains. There´s not really something to avoid a stroke. If it happens, it happens...

But it could also be whirling desease...

Yes, fish can get a stroke as well despite of their tiny brains. There´s not really something to avoid a stroke. If it happens, it happens...

But it could also be whirling desease...
Yikes. I thought only salmon and trout could get whirling disease. My molly is still swimming in loops and she won't eat. Could she have whirling disease? None of my other fish are showing any symptoms that she and my guppy had.

That's a good idea but unfortunately I'm not allowed to get anymore fish tanks. I do have a few medications but I don't think they are any good. I have Melafix, Ich-X, Super Ich cure, and I have aquarium salt.
Is there any chance the tank could have been contaminated with something? Something like air freshener or deodorant sprayed in the room, some perfume or hand cream or something else on your hands before putting them in the tank? Have seen someone lose fish like this, and it turned out to be their mother using windex to clean the tank glass, and the person was accidentally touching the glass then the water, without knowing about the chemical.

Go to bed and get some sleep. Then tomorrow, we'll find out your GH and pH, whether from your post here or from your water company. It won't hurt to double check the actual numbers, but there's nothing more you can do tonight, so get some rest! If you're tired out tomorrow, you'll have a harder time taking care of your fish and reading up on different diseases.

@Byron , @Naughts , @emeraldking @mbsqw1d any help here appreciated! The corkscrew swimming corylover describes, brings up results for Whirling Disease. This person and posts on another forum, say that whirling disease can affect other types of aquarium fish, but the more scientific articles I've found refer specifically to the salmonid family, and claim it doesn't spread to fish of different species. https://www.alberta.ca/whirling-disease.aspx

So my main suspects are the shimmies, some kind of contaminant, or possibly another kind of bacterial infection. Any thoughts?
Just noticed that I was tagged twice overhere...
It´s hard to tell wether it´s coming from outside the tank or if it was already in the tank. A spray used as mentioned overhere could cause also weird behavior. But most of the time you´ll see a film layer at the surface of the tank.
Some live food and dried food can contain something that may cause this behavior as well.
Whirling desease doesn´t have to affect other fish. Butn if it seems that more fish are starting to have the same behavior you´d expect that some parasite is amongst them. Wether that´s caused by food or something else will probably remain a question.

Yikes. I thought only salmon and trout could get whirling disease. My molly is still swimming in loops and she won't eat. Could she have whirling disease? None of my other fish are showing any symptoms that she and my guppy had.
Could be but doesn´t have to...
For spinning behavior ca be caused by more factors. But most likely it will be whirling desease. That doesn´t only happen to salmon and trout.
But again, also a stroke can cause this spin behavior.

Most reactions

Back