Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NICKOLAS

Reaction score
soooo i made a mistake in my 20 gallon tank by not cycling it long enough. I had bought 2 pregnant females and i male and placed them in my tank. At first my male was eating but then over the days he slowly stopped eating. As this occurred i also noticed cloudy like water. Cople days later i stripped the females and placed the fry in a breeding net in my tank. My females seemed stress and my male seemed stress no one was eating. Ph level is fine everything fine until i tested my ammonia which was around 4.0ppm. I did immediate water changes i took my fry out as slowly they were doing i placed them in a little 5 gallon tank using water from my main tank so good bacteria can be in my 5 gallon tank. I know that was a risk but it has been 5 days and my fry are fine, happy and eating in that little tank but my main tank is struggling. Iv done two 40% water changes over 5 days and constantly every night add water conditioner prime. Anyways i have 2 questions:
1. How do i lower my ammonia. Its lowered a bit but still sitting at 2.0ppm i have done a lot.
2. Will my fry be fine considering the tank has good ph, temperature and they are eating?

Your fry should be fine for the time being. But not for long because you 5 gallon tank is going to have to go through the cycle too. It you can move some of your filter media into you 20 gallon so that you can really speed up the process and also do regular water changes. Also try using “Stability” in your 20 gallon and you five to help speed up the process even faster. Are you using quick start and stress coat when doing water changes? What type of fish are they?

I have 3 yellow labs, 2 females and 1 male. Im also using the filter that came with the tank i purchased. Its an overflow filter i would think it would be strong enough. I did leave the filter thats in my fry tank in my main tank for 24 hours. And after water changes i just use the tap water mixed with water conditioner without any other chemicals

Main tank is only 20 gallons, i know its not enough for africans but ill be upgrading soon but in the meantime i have just added 20L of my fathers fully cycled water from his tank as i also took 20L of my tanks water out. The ammonia for my fathers tank is at 0. So hopefully this will help kill the ammonia

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back