Help With Wet-dry's

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

vindell

Reaction score
Have a rr 210 gallon oceanic, running a pro-clear 125 and a 175 on it for 2 month's. have about 1000 gph running over boi balls. how long till its established. run felt on drip trays. Tank has been up and running for two years now, just converted to trickle filters. also run around 1300 gph with powerheads. also run a auqua clear 110 for a little extra mechanical. tank is lightly stocked at this time. about 15 fish and some growing fry.

Well hopefully some of the members who actually run beasts like that will answer but thought I'd throw in that over in the "New to the Hobby" it is often quoted to beginners to expect about 4 weeks for cycling a filter with fish-in. Don't whether the extra oxygen of a wet-dry would help to speed up that average any or not. Certainly when its really established can vary quite a bit - there are things like variable amounts of ammonia exposure for the bacteria, the pH, the temp and other factors.

~~waterdrop~~

If you throw the filter media from the already running filters on top of the bioballs they will seed very quickly, I would imagine.

I don't recall ever having started a wet/dry on a new tank, but have converted sump filters and added the tower on top. If you already have the tank running with filters and fish attached then consider it a potential to very quickly grow in colony size.

Most reactions

Back