Help With Subtropical Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

paw-paw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi!

I have a 180 liter tank (juwel rio 180) - approx 47 US gallons (or so it calculates on google) and would like to stock it with subtropical fish. I do not wish to have a heater (tho I used to have tropical tanks) and the temperature in my tank stays around 19 C in the winter and goes up to 22 in the summer. The water in my region is quite hard tho I have never measured it myself.

I used to keep guppies in this unheated tank and they were breeding like crazy and were healthy even tho I know guppies are supposed to be in warmer tanks...
Anyhow - after doing some research on subtropical fish I found some that I was surprised to hear that can live in unheated tanks (like red and black phantom tetras)

So, I have compiled a list of a few not-to-hard-to-get fish that appeal to me, that apparently do fine in unheated tanks. I would like to stock my tank with these fish (not all of them of course) and I would appreciate your input. I would like a colorfull mix community tank

the list:

- red and black phantom tetras (I think they would look cool mixed together with no other species; but tetras need soft water, right? Also I am unsure wether they are really ok at such low temperatures but they were listed on a few web pages as suitable)

- platy (I like them cause they are hardy and you can get them in blue, green, orange...so they are a contrast to other colors of fish)

- guppy (by my own experience they thrive in unheated tank)

- Rosy barb ( I think they look nice as they just look "normal, standard" fish; it is also cool that they are bigger so there is some size variation in a tank. But I am affraid 180 liter tank is too small for them as they need to be in groups to not be nippy?

- Garra sp. (I already have one in my Glass catfish tank, he is great and the only one in the tank with a name :). I know they do OK in unheated tanks.

- SAE - had 3 in my unheated gupy tank and they were great. After that they were moved in with my goldies (unheated tank) where they thrived as well but I rehomed them when I had to cut down on aquariums). I genuinely like their metallic scales and bold black line.

- Corydoras trilineatus - I heard they are happy in unheated tanks. Not sure how I feel about them at the moment. They do look cute but I don't thik I will have sand at the bottom (I have peebles at the bottom now) so...But I am not sure yet...

bloodfin tetra (aphyocharax anisitsi) - another tetra that can supposedly live in unheated tank ?

Puntius semifasciolatus - great looking fish IMO. I like "standard" looking fish. But similar as withy rosy barb, I am not sure my tank is big enough for them and than some other fishes

Danio albolineatus - I fell in love with the very colorfull variety of this species. Tho some exaples of Danio albolineatus X roseus are even more stunning. I would really like to have some of this colorful fish.

Danio jaintianensis - I like this danio, just not as much as D.albolineatus, D. roseus.

White cloud mountain minnow - I just love these fish (all forms) and I almost think they are a must in this tank, in combination with some of the abovementioned fish.

As for bottomdwellers (apart from corydoras for which I am not sure) I was thinking about amano shrimp. I am not sure how they would go with barbs tho (if I do decide on barbs).

So can you give me any input? What fish (combination of fish) from the above would you have in a 180 unheated tank? (You are also welcome to suggest some other species tho I have to say I want color and mix in this tank)

Thanks!

Do you not fancy a mountain river setup with hillstream loaches? You may need a heater to keep it around 20 degrees, but mine is barely on. Warning though, it is addictive.

Edit - just reread that you have hard water. Maybe not for the hillstream loaches then.

Most of the readily available cories will do fine in an unheated tank. They are quite marginal on temperatures in most tropical tanks. You could add almost any of the goodeid group as possible tank mates in an unheated setting but some are known to be a bit too aggressive for community settings. As you have said,cwhite clouds do great in that environment and a great little fish. Another nice small fish is zebra danios.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back