Help with snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Moby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,Iā€™ve got quite a bit of experience with general fish keeping but none whatsoever with snails.Iā€™m thinking of adding some snails as Iā€™ve heard they can be good for the tank.?

Snails used to be viewed as a pest and something to be removed at all costs.
Now, their usefulness in processing waste has been recognised and everyone seems to think that they're wonderful.
They can be, but certain points need to be understood.
  • Snails are great at processing organic waste, for very little addition to the overall bioload. They can also be used to facilitate tank cycling, to some small degree.
  • Most will allegedly ignore healthy plants...but they aren't fussy and, if a plant has a slight bit of damage, that damage is food for some snails. Some snails, such as Apple Snails, will eat healthy plants and Rabbit Snail, for example, will munch on Java Fern.
  • Snails will breed as long as there is plenty of food to eat and this will include most snails. Of the freshwater snails, only Nerite snails, as far as I know, will not breed in freshwater tanks. That said, they will still lay their eggs...little white things that stick like muck to a blanket and won't get eaten by the most obliging of fish.
  • Some fish will eat snails and some, whilst not eating the snail itself, will peck away at the snail's eye-stalks, leaving the snail doomed.
  • Some snails have different habits to be aware of. For example, Nerite snails often have difficulty in righting themselves, especially if they cannot reach something to grab onto.
  • Assassin snails are often recommended as a biological means of removing so-called 'pest snails. However, Assassin snails will breed and, when food runs out, they'll eat each other.
  • Snails can also eat very small fry and fish eggs.
  • To manage any snail population, just reduce the organic waste being produced in the tank.

I have nerites in my tank, as well as a few unknown species, (probably physids).
The nerites do come in a variety of colours, which makes them doubly attractive.

DSCN3733.JPG
DSCN3851.JPG

Snails used to be viewed as a pest and something to be removed at all costs.
Now, their usefulness in processing waste has been recognised and everyone seems to think that they're wonderful.
They can be, but certain points need to be understood.
  • Snails are great at processing organic waste, for very little addition to the overall bioload. They can also be used to facilitate tank cycling, to some small degree.
  • Most will allegedly ignore healthy plants...but they aren't fussy and, if a plant has a slight bit of damage, that damage is food for some snails. Some snails, such as Apple Snails, will eat healthy plants and Rabbit Snail, for example, will munch on Java Fern.
  • Snails will breed as long as there is plenty of food to eat and this will include most snails. Of the freshwater snails, only Nerite snails, as far as I know, will not breed in freshwater tanks. That said, they will still lay their eggs...little white things that stick like muck to a blanket and won't get eaten by the most obliging of fish.
  • Some fish will eat snails and some, whilst not eating the snail itself, will peck away at the snail's eye-stalks, leaving the snail doomed.
  • Some snails have different habits to be aware of. For example, Nerite snails often have difficulty in righting themselves, especially if they cannot reach something to grab onto.
  • Assassin snails are often recommended as a biological means of removing so-called 'pest snails. However, Assassin snails will breed and, when food runs out, they'll eat each other.
  • Snails can also eat very small fry and fish eggs.
  • To manage any snail population, just reduce the organic waste being produced in the tank.
Bruce, do you have snails? Whatā€™s the best kind? I bought some pretty pink ones on eBay. They were barely macroscopic & all dropped dead.

Bruce, do you have snails? Whatā€™s the best kind? I bought some pretty pink ones on eBay. They were barely macroscopic & all dropped dead.
I bought my nerites...Red Spotted, Zebra and Military Helmet, (an almost metallic blue-black variety).
I also have snails I didn't buy, including tiny ramshorn-type and a few larger physids.

I bought my nerites...Red Spotted, Zebra and Military Helmet, (an almost metallic blue-black variety).
I also have snails I didn't buy, including tiny ramshorn-type and a few larger physids.
Thanks, think I will see what the local fish shop has

Some snails breed like rabbits so keep this in mind

these are known as Pest Snails eg Ramshorns Dwarf Ramshorns and a few others

One would suggest crushing pest snails and feeding them to your fish(some loaches Plecos And CAEā€™s love them) :devil:

Also if the Pet shop offers you a CAE(Chinese Algae Eater) donā€™t buy one there little cute loachy things , until they get big and turn into fish murdering monsters

Some snails breed like rabbits so keep this in mind

these are known as Pest Snails eg Ramshorns Dwarf Ramshorns and a few others

One would suggest crushing pest snails and feeding them to your fish(some loaches Plecos And CAEā€™s love them) :devil:

Also if the Pet shop offers you a CAE(Chinese Algae Eater) donā€™t buy one there little cute loachy things , until they get big and turn into fish murdering monsters
Thanks, Iā€™ll keep this in mind šŸ‘

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back