Help With Rock Placement

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Livewire88

Team TetraTEC
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am going to rescape my Arc60 tank shortly and want to get my rock layout sorted before it goes in the tank. I am only looking to have a carpet of HC and maybe some crypts in one of the corners.

What do you think of this layout? the towel that the rocks are on is the same size as the tank.

20130106_194113.jpg

Also bear in mind that substrate will be covering the bottom third of the tall rock and there will be a few gentle hills here and there.

Hard to say with out the substrate, looks a bit spread out or me.

Bunch them together in the centre, make an island.

firstly :eek: WOW those rocks are stunning i would space them out try and fit taller ones at back and smaller ones at middle/front and dont try and randomise there placements remember nature has not strait lines or real structure to it.

also you wouldn't need to bury the tall rock so deep you will be surprised how stable it will be just an inch under the sand/gravel

I agree with Zik. Really nice looking rocks! I would move the two on the left closer together to create a natural 'canyon' between them. and then I would have the three on the right extending out in a line, like broken cliffs extending out into the sea... just an idea.

Do you know what rocks they are? Hard to tell from here, definately metamorphic but otherwise unsure. As Daize says - natural canyon and extend out to sea. Will look awesome. Where are they from?

Thanks for all the comments and advice, the rocks are landscaping rocks.

I bought some from Aqua Essentials and some for a local fish store, they are in the tank now and I am happy with the placement. Just need to wait for the HC to spread across the whole tank and it should look great. Then I will be removing the Cherry Shrimp and adding around 40 Crystal Red Shrimp.

Still a fair bit of growth to go yet. and I have to get the HC at the front down in the substrate more.

20130120_190644.jpg

20130120_192703.jpg

Looks lovely. I personally think the placements are great. Be nice to see when the HC carpets all over.

Wow, journal please dude. ;)

Was the HC from the old scape as it looks very established in there?

Looks lovely. I personally think the placements are great. Be nice to see when the HC carpets all over.

Thanks, I did try a lot of different arrangements with the rocks and this was my favorite.

Wow, journal please dude.
wink.png

Was the HC from the old scape as it looks very established in there?

Cheers Steve,

The HC was from the old scape, I just chopped it up into pieces and spread it round so hopefully it will fill the gaps so all the substrate is covered, Then the Crystal Reds will go in
wahey.gif

Holy cow, I want some of those rocks. Got a link? XD

Dude you've used AE before, mini landscape rock, I'm picking up 20kg of it soon so may have spare.

Like Steve said AE sells landscape rock for £2.50 per kilo, however one of my LFS sells the same rock for £1 per kilo.

Happy days

Most reactions

Back