Help With My Tank Layout?

Hadexicon

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I have been in the hobby with this tank for about 4 years but for some reason I can't get a tank to look how I want, I have bought plenty of props and no matter what it never turns out the way I like, I've had this tank like this for about a month and I don't like it, does anyone have some suggestions on how I can make my tank look a little bit better? I usually like the natural or realistic look. Thanks.

Photos of my tank on imgur:
http://imgur.com/a/lqmUF

I dont know how feasible this would be, but is it possible to replace the gravel with sand?  Also, more green plants.  I would also move the bubble wall behind a rock pile and off-center the log.

firstly I'd have a look on google images at various aquascapes. Save pictures of the one's you like to your pc and then use them as a guide to scaping your aquarium.

This is what I did and I soon realised that 90% of the pictures I'd saved were a pathway scape and so that was what I tried to re-create with my own tank. It's been like that now for nearly 2 years and I've still not fallen out with it. 

If you like the natural look then look at changing the substrate to playsand and adding lots of natural plants

With the sand I can't buy real aquarium sand in my town due to it being a small town, and my Walmart being my LFS but Is just normal sand from sandbags still usable? If so I can probably find that at Walmart, about the plants I have a few green plants in my native tank but they kinda need to stay in there because my small sunfish has made his nest under them. I could make a special trip to get these, I have looked through some similar sized tanks (55-75) and found some that I have really liked so I might try to go with those designs, I was thinking maybe move the log over to the right side and put the rocks all together along with some extra greenery, but then the problem stands that the log looks naked and ideas?

you could tie things like Anubias to the log or java fern. Both of these plants needs it's rhizome about the substrate so you can use some fishing wire to tie the plants to it.

As for sand. Can you get hold of non-toxic childrens play pit sand? This is perfectly safe to use in an aquarium. You will need to wash it thoroughly though otherwise you've be looking at brown water for months

Akasha72 said:
you could tie things like Anubias to the log or java fern. Both of these plants needs it's rhizome about the substrate so you can use some fishing wire to tie the plants to it.

As for sand. Can you get hold of non-toxic childrens play pit sand? This is perfectly safe to use in an aquarium. You will need to wash it thoroughly though otherwise you've be looking at brown water for months
Will my Oscar not rip out the plants though?

I don't know. Does he normally rip up the plants?

Yes that's why my tank is artificially planted now cx

ahh ... I see. Then have a look and see if you can get artificial anubias and java fern

Alright off to Walmart thanks for the help

I used play sand purchased from Home Depot.  Rinse it really well and expect a cloudy look until things settle down and get filtered.  The better you rinse, the less you get of the cloudy water. My filter cycles 250 gallons an hour and it took about 2 days to clear up.

Feel sorry for my Oscar having to sit in a 15 gallon non filtered tank for 2-4 days :/

Hadexicon said:
Feel sorry for my Oscar having to sit in a 15 gallon non filtered tank for 2-4 days
confused.gif

Why would the oscar have to sit in an unfiltered tank for 2-4 days? It won't take 2 days to change the substrate. A couple of hours tops

If you can get pool filter sand, it is much less messy.  You only have to rinse for about 15 minutes, and that is being really thorough.  It doesn't cloud up the tank.  It is a procedure to change to substrate, but the sand will make quite the difference aesthetically.  If you want to be lazy I suppose you could just take out some of the gravel and put a layer of sand, but they would most likely mix eventually.  

Also, if you like live plants, you could try planting some in pots and placing these in the tank.  That way, the oscar won't be as likely to tear them up, since they aren;t planted in the ground.  Just some food for thought.  I have seen it done, and it looks quite nice imo 

Akasha72 said:
Feel sorry for my Oscar having to sit in a 15 gallon non filtered tank for 2-4 days
confused.gif

Why would the oscar have to sit in an unfiltered tank for 2-4 days? It won't take 2 days to change the substrate. A couple of hours tops
Will it not take that long for all the sand to settle?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back