Help with Bloated Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sinyueliang

Reaction score
So one of my betta babies, Lancelot, is fat. Like really fat. He looks preggo fat. And I'm super worried. I've been roaming around searching for what it might be (I think it's probably constipation? Since his scales don't look like they're sticking out like it says it would be for dropsy) and how to cure it. I saw a lot of various things, but was a bit confused on what was good to do. I ended up getting some frozen peas to feed him. I put it in some boiling water, took it out, cut the flesh into really tiny pieces, and tried feeding it to him. I did it a few times since he didn't really pay attention, but he tried eating a piece twice, but spit it out both times D: I ended up having to fish all of them out of the tank... I've also been fasting for the past two/three days as well. I'm not sure what to do now though.

As a side note, my dad had put our two Bettas in our 15 gallon tank together for a period of time (when we first go Percival, the other betta baby we have, while I was at school for the week) and so he somehow thought that was okay, but as a result Lancelot got really helplessly bullied and his fins and tail are all torn up. His belly area is also white (maybe stress?) and near his gill area on both sides he has these horizontal red things... idek what they are, they look kind of like injuries? but internal injuries? My friend suggested it might be his pattern because they were two of them on both sides of his head, but idk, I never noticed them before and they look kind of weird. So I'm also worried about that and wondering what to do. I had initially gotten Bettafix since I saw that it might be able to help, but then when I was looking it up again after I saw it, I saw some people saying that it actually doesn't help and is bad for the fish?? So yeah. D: ALSO the ammonium in our tank is like really high and I'm worried, do I only need to do a water change to fix that? Like 50% water change?

So one of my betta babies, Lancelot, is fat. Like really fat. He looks preggo fat. And I'm super worried. I've been roaming around searching for what it might be (I think it's probably constipation? Since his scales don't look like they're sticking out like it says it would be for dropsy) and how to cure it. I saw a lot of various things, but was a bit confused on what was good to do. I ended up getting some frozen peas to feed him. I put it in some boiling water, took it out, cut the flesh into really tiny pieces, and tried feeding it to him. I did it a few times since he didn't really pay attention, but he tried eating a piece twice, but spit it out both times D: I ended up having to fish all of them out of the tank... I've also been fasting for the past two/three days as well. I'm not sure what to do now though.

As a side note, my dad had put our two Bettas in our 15 gallon tank together for a period of time (when we first go Percival, the other betta baby we have, while I was at school for the week) and so he somehow thought that was okay, but as a result Lancelot got really helplessly bullied and his fins and tail are all torn up. His belly area is also white (maybe stress?) and near his gill area on both sides he has these horizontal red things... idek what they are, they look kind of like injuries? but internal injuries? My friend suggested it might be his pattern because they were two of them on both sides of his head, but idk, I never noticed them before and they look kind of weird. So I'm also worried about that and wondering what to do. I had initially gotten Bettafix since I saw that it might be able to help, but then when I was looking it up again after I saw it, I saw some people saying that it actually doesn't help and is bad for the fish?? So yeah. D: ALSO the ammonium in our tank is like really high and I'm worried, do I only need to do a water change to fix that? Like 50% water change?
Can you post a picture of your betta please? And YES, water changes are a must. Do a 50% to 70% water change of clean, treated water as close to the tank temperature as possible. Pour in slowly so the current does not stress your already sick betta. Test the water again, if readings are still showing then perform another 50% water change. If your tank is not cycled water changes are pretty much a daily thing while you do a fish in cycle. Also, you need to get a divider for your tank, one your betta cannot get through or see through. Betta should never be housed in a tank with open access to each other as they WILL kill each other.

Can you post a picture of your betta please? And YES, water changes are a must. Do a 50% to 70% water change of clean, treated water as close to the tank temperature as possible. Pour in slowly so the current does not stress your already sick betta. Test the water again, if readings are still showing then perform another 50% water change. If your tank is not cycled water changes are pretty much a daily thing while you do a fish in cycle. Also, you need to get a divider for your tank, one your betta cannot get through or see through. Betta should never be housed in a tank with open access to each other as they WILL kill each other.
They went in separate tanks the day after I got back, as soon as possible :V since we had to go buy a new tank =-= We have a filter?? also I was wrong, it's not the ammonium that was high but like the nitrite/nitrate (not quite sure which it was, should be nitrate though I think?. I have a kind of bad bad picture that's not really clear of Lancelot from a few days ago (while he was still in the 15 gallon), but yeah, I can't take a new picture because I'm not at home. (link here: https://imgur.com/fj8aW78)

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back