Help! What Kind Of Catfish Is This?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

r.w.girard

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all,

Quite by accident, I just came into the possession of a catfish of unknown species and requirements. I have attached two photographs below to help with its identification. I am wondering what species this little stow-away is and what it needs [pH, temp, food, companions, tank size, etc.]. I checked out the listings but I couldn't find this little guy [maybe two inches long] so I am posting this in the general forum. I almost posted it as an emergency. I just set this tank up in hopes that it won't die overnight (after nearly two hours out of water! - I feel terrible but I did not know that he was in there!), until I can figure out what to do with him! Please help me rescue the little guy!

IMG_4805.jpg

IMG_4806.jpg

Any help would be really appreciated!

It could be an Upside-Down Catfish....
I'm not entirely sure.

Synodontis species?

Thank you for the pointer. It is looking like a Synodontis flavitaeniata or the "Pyjama Synodontis." I would love some verification of this, if possible. I found it here and here. There is no profile for it in the Fish Species Index...

Looks like Mystus carcio.

It does look like Mystus carcio, although from the pictures it is hard to distinguish it from S. flavitaeniata. In fact it would seem that these are hard to identify in general: this is a discussion about M. carcio and M. vittatus, although I am pretty sure it is not the latter. I found some species information here but I was unable to find any information about habitat/tank conditions, etc. Any ideas on distinguishing the two species from each other? This is my first sortie into catfish so I am a little out of my league. And any idea what sort of set-up I would need for M. carcio?

Easy way to tell, if the mouth opens forward, its a mystus. If its underneath, its a Synodontis. Synos also have branched barbles, mystus don't. Hope this helps.

Its definately a species of Mystus, not Synodontis...

And a quick google gives me Mystus vittatus :) i think one of the more common imports of Mystus so quite likely!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&cp=10&gs_id=11&xhr=t&q=mystus+vittatus&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1080&bih=635&wrapid=tljp1347605367758012&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=e9NSUOG9FIrG0QX-woGADA

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back