Help to start - first 30L tank

The description of the tank you have ordered says it has a

which is this filter

The info in that links says it has biofilter balls but the instruction manual doesn't mention them. That says it has a sponge (or foam) which goes in the front, and a cartridge containing carbon behind it. The instructions say to wash the spong in old tank water but to replace the cartridge every 4 weeks. The easiest thing for you would be to use this filter as it is. But don't replace the cartridge, wash it. It will be OK just keeping it. If you ever need to add a medicine, just ask what to do about the carbon.
Donā€™t suppose you know if any of the other tanks on previous pages have filters that donā€™t need having something replaced?

I know @Essjay has mentioned one single male Betta fish or 6 Endlers - have you decided on either of those yet?
My son wanted two platies so I think thatā€™s what Iā€™ll get still, but again concerned the tank isnā€™t big enough after whatā€™s been said

Iā€™ve just looked on Seriously Fish, and as already mentioned the Platy will need more space, the tank you have is about 1/3 shorter than they recommend.
Only you can decide that one, weā€™ve all given our thoughts on the best choices based on the benefit of years of experience and some costly mistakes.

Iā€™ve just looked on Seriously Fish, and as already mentioned the Platy will need more space, the tank you have is about 1/3 shorter than they recommend
Iā€™m considering trying to find a way to not do this now as I think itā€™s destined to fail, despite everyoneā€™s help which has been great. There just seems to be so many obstacles even the fish which appeared tiny are not well suited the the tank I was all set on.
The filter situation is bothering me too. Someone on a previous page recommended this which I would happily get if it meant it would be easier for me https://amzn.to/3x5TFra but again, I donā€™t know the difference or if it fits different to the one that comes with the tank.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Platies are quite big fish which really need a bigger tank. That's why I asked if you could manage a tank that's 60 cm long.

Endlers are smaller than platies but the are shaped the same, which is why I suggested those.

Of all the tanks that have been mentioned so far, this one has a filter which doesn't need replacing, but it is smaller than the one in Argos.
I have used the filter that comes with this tank; it has a sponge inside with a hole with a bit of carbon inside. Just throw away the carbon and use the sponge on its own.

The 45 litre version of this tank is a bit bigger
I have found a video which shows the filter. This too contains a sponge with a bit of carbon inside; again, empty the carbon and use just the sponge.

Sponges last almost forever and just need squeezing in old tank water during a water change.

They look good unfortunately only the start 30 would fit in my space which is smaller, so Iā€™d have to get different fish that my son wanted, just another problem to solve ā˜¹ļø

The filter in the Tetra tank in Argos isn't fixed, it is removeable. If you didn't mind a bit of extra cost, you could just leave in the box unused and get another filter.
This is the filter I once has which has the bit of carbon which I just emptied out and used just the sponge

Does anyone know what I should do regarding this, does the heater need to be on or should it be off until I'm close to putting the fish in?
I feel your pain. I was clueless too when I started my 5 gal Betta tank. The people here have expert advice but they tend to be very technical when giving it. It can really make ones head explode. You are like me, I needed it to be simplified so I could understand. I think that you should have started with maybe a smaller tank until you became familiar with the routine. But since that ship has sailed and you have a 30 liter tank, you are going to have to take your time. You definitely want to have your tank established before you add your fish. And that means you need to "cycle" your tank so there will be beneficial bacteria. The best way is to grow your own, like the experts here explain, but they do sell these bacteria in bottles. I use API Quick Start. But like I said, I only have a 5 gal Betta tank with 1 Betta in it. And you have to condition the water(remove the chlorine). I use API products. Just make sure it removes chlorine. The bottle directions will tell you how much to use for the size of your tank. Now, I'm still in the dark about the water "parameters". I have 1 solitary Betta so I pretty much just keep his tank clean and him fed. As far as the water temperature, make sure you have the right size heater for the size tank you have and most heaters are preset between 76 & 78 degrees. I opted to get one that I could adjust the temp since Bettas like their water at 80 degrees. You definitely will want your heater to be on before you add your fish. And you will need to slowly "acclimate" them to the water temp. That means, when you bring them home, open the bag that they are sent home with you in and "float" the bag(with the fish in it) in the tank for about 15 min, then slowly empty some water from the bag while letting some of the tank water mix in with the water in the bag and fish. Let the bag "float" for another 15 min. Then you can release them into the tank. Floating them like this let's them get adjusted slowly to the new tank temperature. But that will come AFTER you get your tank set up first.

I feel your pain. I was clueless too when I started my 5 gal Betta tank. The people here have expert advice but they tend to be very technical when giving it. It can really make ones head explode. You are like me, I needed it to be simplified so I could understand. I think that you should have started with maybe a smaller tank until you became familiar with the routine. But since that ship has sailed and you have a 30 liter tank, you are going to have to take your time. You definitely want to have your tank established before you add your fish. And that means you need to "cycle" your tank so there will be beneficial bacteria. The best way is to grow your own, like the experts here explain, but they do sell these bacteria in bottles. I use API Quick Start. But like I said, I only have a 5 gal Betta tank with 1 Betta in it. And you have to condition the water(remove the chlorine). I use API products. Just make sure it removes chlorine. The bottle directions will tell you how much to use for the size of your tank. Now, I'm still in the dark about the water "parameters". I have 1 solitary Betta so I pretty much just keep his tank clean and him fed. As far as the water temperature, make sure you have the right size heater for the size tank you have and most heaters are preset between 76 & 78 degrees. I opted to get one that I could adjust the temp since Bettas like their water at 80 degrees. You definitely will want your heater to be on before you add your fish. And you will need to slowly "acclimate" them to the water temp. That means, when you bring them home, open the bag that they are sent home with you in and "float" the bag(with the fish in it) in the tank for about 15 min, then slowly empty some water from the bag while letting some of the tank water mix in with the water in the bag and fish. Let the bag "float" for another 15 min. Then you can release them into the tank. Floating them like this let's them get adjusted slowly to the new tank temperature. But that will come AFTER you get your tank set up first.
Just a couple of additions, if that's OK! The heater needs to be on from day one as if the water is warm it helps with cycling. And, it's best not to add the water, from the bag the fish come in, to the tank. Take the fish out gently with a net, put them in the tank and throw the bag water away. :)

you seem to not know anything about fish. do research then come back. sorry to be rude but itā€™s the truth. and make sure you know that hardly any fish can go in your tank bc it is veryyyyyy small.

I have to say how impressed I am by the amount of effort given in trying to explain the process of setting up a tank to someone, although willing, is completely unprepared for the amount of effort needed to set a tank up and then to keep it maintained.
We are still trying to combat the idea that all you need to do is to put water in a tank, add some gravel, plants, fish and Robert is your parent's brother!

It is very difficult instructing someone, when everything can be taken literally and there is a whole heap of anxiety attached.
In my basic training, we did an exercise where we had to instruct a colleague on how to fry an egg. The rules said that the colleague had to do EXACTLY what they were told. So...

Place the frying pan on the ring...place the pan the right way up on the ring...place the pan so that the bottom of the pan is on the ring.
Turn on the ring, using the dial on the cooker.
Add a little oil to the inside of the pan...carefully add two tablespoons of oil to the inside of the pan.
Break the egg into the pan...
Wham! In went an egg, broken, shell and all...etc..

The written/typed word is okay, but as we learn, it has limitations and that's always assuming a standard of literacy exits. (Fortunately, it clearly does in this case).

This is why the old 'Monkey see, monkey do' method usually works better. Perhaps a useful video exists, (or could be made to exist ;) )? Better still, if the original poster could actually visit someone who knows what they're doing?

Back to Marklcfc, you've got a job of work on your hands and respect to you for your efforts so far. You'll know your kid and I'll ask you...how much capacity does he have to understand the needs of the fish and can he accept that, in The Real, things don't happen just as he'd want them to? There's a huge learning opportunity with setting up a tank, (or a rabbit hutch, or a guinea pig pen, etc.) and you need to be able to limit the risks, which is why the fishy experts in here are advocating a larger tank. With such, you have much more room for manoeuvre. As with setting up any new hobby, there's usually quite a bit of initial expense incurred but, once established, costs can be minimal. Your lad wants platys, but with the set-up you're describing, he might as well be wanting a marine clownfish, with a mako shark companion! Has he been to a decent fish shop and seen what's available? Does he know what he can and cannot have, etc.? If he doesn't and he just wants it and wants it now, then fishkeeping ain't for him and you're setting yourself up for a whole world of hurt. At best, you'll be making a burden for yourself.
(I once set up a beautiful community tank, that was of great benefit to all that saw it. Then someone decided to wash the stones in proper soapy water, putting them all back without rinsing, resulting in a dead tank and much trauma).

To see what is usually involved, check out the Fish Forums: Journals and Builds section. There are some very detailed tank set-ups described, from start to finish, complete with some very honest descriptions of mistakes and assorted cock-ups. Why make your own mistakes when you can learn from those of others?
(Although I always suggest that a cock-up is simply yet another learning opportunity :D )

Good luck.

They look good unfortunately only the start 30 would fit in my space which is smaller, so Iā€™d have to get different fish that my son wanted, just another problem to solve ā˜¹ļø
Look at species of corydoras. They are small catfish typically grow between 2-4 inches and are schooling. They are constantly moving and fun to watch. You could keep at most 3 of them in 30 liter. I have sunburst platys in my tank they are only about 2 inches long and fun to watch, they love riding the air stones up and down. 30 liters would be to small for mollys, most plecos, cichlids etc. stay away from gourami's, I have had multiple ones from multiple suppliers all died from DGD. I have a two spot gourami now that seems to be doing ok but they are rather large.

What size space do you have available dimension wise ? Did you ever think about making a custom tank ? IE less length but more height almost making it square ?

You could always go the route of snails and shrimp with maybe a fish or two. I have a mystery snail and a few ghost shrimp in my tank and they are very fun to have. Like I said though, look at different species of cory catfish and show your kiddo. I am actually upgrading my tank to a 72 gallon and once everything is good to go the first thing ill be adding to it is more Corys.

Most reactions

Back