Help! Sick Betta! Not Sure Whats Wrong With Fins?

MegaZerino

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, please help, so i know that my betta has finrot as the ends of his tail are slightly browned. 2 weeks ago i started treating the tank with SERA - baktapour and it seemed to work, but it came back so i treated him again from last thursday. It was going well until yesterday when i noticed he seemed to have something white poking our of his bottom. i thought it was just poo so i left it. (it looked a bit like white filter floss but more compact). but i saw it again today and it looked like he was missing an entire section of his fins in less than 2 days. He also has some kind of white fungus about the size of a small pea on the back of his fins. he is behaving fine and there is nothing wrong with any of the other fish in the tank. I have not added anything new to the tank. please help. and sorry about the focus on the pictures.

DSCN1795.jpg

DSCN1794.jpg

DSCN1793.jpg

DSCN1791.jpg

First off you should isolate the betta so that your other fish won't catch this suspected fungus and fin rott.Have you attempted to use freshwater aquarium salt?It worked when my betta had fin rott and a fungus problem...Also, be sure to remove carbon media if you have a filter.It would likely remove the medication your using.Good luck, hope your betta heals!

First off you should isolate the betta so that your other fish won't catch this suspected fungus and fin rott.Have you attempted to use freshwater aquarium salt?It worked when my betta had fin rott and a fungus problem...Also, be sure to remove carbon media if you have a filter.It would likely remove the medication your using.Good luck, hope your betta heals!

unfortunatly i dont have a tank to isolate him in as i just sold it. i was told to treat the whole tank just incase some of the other fish had caught it as well. and there is no carbon in the filter. Can you recommend a good treatment as im not sure this one works very well?? thanks

You can use a product called Melafix.Since fin rot is primarily a gram negative bacteria, try to find a medicine with a broad spectrum of treatments for both gram negative and gram positive.I am not sure how to add links yet, but just copy and paste this url into your computer search engine. I found it very imformative.I'll research some more info for you too. http://velvetdragon.com/bettas/finrot.html

Make sure you use salt!!! In my case, salt killed the ick on my fish+healed his beautiful tail with the help of Melafix.Good luck<3

Read this http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/390701-bad-finned-betta/page__p__3282699__fromsearch__1#entry3282699 i had a very bad case last month and he doing well now

recovery pics
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/393892-new-betta-new-finnage-for-tripleb/

Sorry I forgot to add that you should be careful with Melafix so that it won't harm any other fish.Also, dont use Melafix after a large water change.Found this out after some research.....

sorry its actually waterlife - myxazin 'fin rot and bacteria' i used

Sorry I forgot to add that you should be careful with Melafix so that it won't harm any other fish.Also, dont use Melafix after a large water change.Found this out after some research.....

Awesome! thanks, im going to my LFS tomorrow so i will se if they have some melafix, also, what brand of salt do you use, i tried to use salt once before but it didnt work at all, and would it have any effect on plants? because i dont have a hospital tank to use. and how do i have to be careful it doesnt harm any other fish, also, i did a 70% water change a couple of hours ago :/

sorry its actually waterlife - myxazin 'fin rot and bacteria' i used

thanks, how long did it take for the rot to completley disappear?

My betta healed after about a month, though his tail was not the same...A little curl-tail occured towards the ends.

Although, the salt I use is called API aquarium salt(company best known for test kits).
Dosage should be listed on the box.
Some fish and plants can withstand the brackish conditions of salt, but research a bit on your species.
Melafix does not harm plants or fish to my understanding.

What would help the absolute most is buying: Melafix, API salt, or possibly borrow an established tank with heater if you have a friend who owns fish.

My betta healed after about a month, though his tail was not the same...A little curl-tail occured towards the ends.

Although, the salt I use is called API aquarium salt(company best known for test kits).
Dosage should be listed on the box.
Some fish and plants can withstand the brackish conditions of salt, but research a bit on your species.
Melafix does not harm plants or fish to my understanding.

What would help the absolute most is buying: Melafix, API salt, or possibly borrow an established tank with heater if you have a friend who owns fish.

And it just so happens that the salt i used before was API and i still have some left, can they be used at the same time? because if so then i can put some in now and then the melafix tomorrow

In your case, I would treat again with salt.If that doesn't work, try Melafix. Some people have bad reviews on Melafix, so try to find a wide-range spectrum of bacterial medicines that treat gram negative and possitive.

Do a "salt treatment" for a week.If you see any results, continue.If not, do a 50% water change and do a Melafix treatment.

What are you parameters? PH?Ammonia?Nitrite?Nitrate?
Also, does this white spot appear fuzzy?If it is, then your betta has a fungus.
If not, dont worry your betta has ick and finrot. Salt is the key line of defense.

Here is a great site for treatment opitions and descriptions of betta diseases http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

In your case, I would treat again with salt.If that doesn't work, try Melafix. Some people have bad reviews on Melafix, so try to find a wide-range spectrum of bacterial medicines that treat gram negative and possitive.

Do a "salt treatment" for a week.If you see any results, continue.If not, do a 50% water change and do a Melafix treatment.

What are you parameters? PH?Ammonia?Nitrite?Nitrate?
Also, does this white spot appear fuzzy?If it is, then your betta has a fungus.
If not, dont worry your betta has ick and finrot. Salt is the key line of defense.

Here is a great site for treatment opitions and descriptions of betta diseases http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

ph - 7.2
ammonia - 0ppm
nitirite - 0ppm
nitrate - for some reason is 160ppm which has managed to get from 20 to that in 2 weeks!

You dont want to over do it on water changes, unless the treatment calls for it or if it is needed.Go to your LFS and question them about the situation. All I can say is keep hopeful and treat your betta! Your parameters are good as far as ammonia and nitrite, try to keep nitrate down. Nitrate probably shot up b/c you dont have the filter media installed.You should do a minor water change.Treat for salt-1 week.Nothing happens-treat Melafix.
Hope your betta gets better!!!!!

You dont want to over do it on water changes, unless the treatment calls for it or if it is needed.Go to your LFS and question them about the situation. All I can say is keep hopeful and treat your betta! Your parameters are good as far as ammonia and nitrite, try to keep nitrate down. Nitrate probably shot up b/c you dont have the filter media installed.You should do a minor water change.Treat for salt-1 week.Nothing happens-treat Melafix.
Hope your betta gets better!!!!!

thanks, i only did the massive change to remove the previous treatment that didnt work, i will start your salt and melafix tomorrow:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back