Help please

IKeepAngels

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
last weekend i bought 4 juvenile angelfish and added it to my 50 g with a juvenile and an adult angel. within two days, 2 of the new 4 died because i was foolish enough to not quarantine them. today as i'm typing right now my adult angel is having a difficulty in swimming and is currently upside down. it has reddish marks on its fins and on their bases. since i have no quarantine tank set up, i put the adult angel into a bucket, filled it with tank water and added medication (azoo magic disease treatment; about 1 ml) to it. since it had no aeration, it hurt me to see my angel like this as i've grown really attached to it, so i put it back in the tank. any suggestions? thanks very much

ps: i suspect my original juvenile to be sick also although i haven't proven it yet. it stays at the top of the tank and doesn't swim around too much. what should i do?

Any chance of a picture and short 30 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

--------------------------
What are the actual symptoms?
What symptoms did the first 2 show before they died?

Have you checked the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
If yes, what are the results in numbers?

--------------------------
If you have medication in the water, you need aeration and if possible, filtration.

the ammonia and nitrate levels are all 0. as of now, all the original angels have died. they all showed the same symptoms, sluggish swimming, after which they'd stay in one corner of the tank, then they'll start having problems staying upright. the bases of their fins turn red and then they die. i don't see anyone having the same symptoms yet but i do have 6 juvenile roselines in the tank and i'm starting to worry about them. as i was trying to set up the quarantine tank earlier, i noticed there was a big crack on it (i haven't used it in years and it's outside). if i see multiple fish getting the symtoms, should i medicate in the main tank? thanks for replying!

I need pictures to identify problems with fish otherwise I am only guessing as to what it might be.

Red patches on the body or fins is usually bacterial.

Cream white or grey patches on the body is normally protozoan.

White fluffy patches are fungus.

-----------------------
Wipe the inside of the tank down with a clean fish sponge and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for the next 2 weeks. This will dilute the number of disease organisms in the water and reduce the chance of the other fish getting sick.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Monitor the remaining fish and if any of them show anything unusual, photograph them and post the pictures here asap.

IT was ICH all along!!! majority of the fish in my tank have it. since this is very common, is there a simple way to cure this? nearly all of the fish in my tank have it. i'm sorry if i wasn't able to narrow down the problem since it started of with 2 platinum angels and i'm in school a lot so i only see them in the dark. i'm really sorry if i hassled you but what do you suggest i do for this? do i add the medication directly into the main tank since nearly all of the fish are infected anyway? thanks for the help and replies :).

btw the azoo magic disease treatment is apparently (according to my research) erythromycin and formalin. will this help? it also said to dose 3 times in succession does thismean i have to divide the dose into 3 every 8 hrs?

i also have loaches and around 6 tetras in here

Last edited:
Erythromycin is an anti-biotic and will only kill bacteria. It will not kill protozoan infections like whitespot.

The safest way to treat whitespot (assuming this is the problem) is to raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. Then lower the temperature back down to whatever it normally is.

Before raising the temperature, wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Then do a 80-90% water change and complete gravel clean. This will dilute the disease organisms in the water and reduce the number of parasites that can infect the fish.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels. Warm water holds less oxygen than cool water.

---------------------------
After you have raised the water temperature, do a 80-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for the first 4 days. This will dilute the number of parasites in the water and limit the damage to the fish. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean every week after that.

*NB* Make sure you turn the heater off before doing water changes, and turn it back on after the water changes.

Erythromycin is an anti-biotic and will only kill bacteria. It will not kill protozoan infections like whitespot.

The safest way to treat whitespot (assuming this is the problem) is to raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. Then lower the temperature back down to whatever it normally is.

Before raising the temperature, wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Then do a 80-90% water change and complete gravel clean. This will dilute the disease organisms in the water and reduce the number of parasites that can infect the fish.

Clean the filter. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels. Warm water holds less oxygen than cool water.

---------------------------
After you have raised the water temperature, do a 80-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for the first 4 days. This will dilute the number of parasites in the water and limit the damage to the fish. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean every week after that.

*NB* Make sure you turn the heater off before doing water changes, and turn it back on after the water changes.
thanks! :) just before you replied i did a 30% water change with a full gravel clean then dosed the medication (it has formalin too and a lot of sources said it helps) aas for the temp change, it's really hot where i live but now i'm in our rainy season so my tank's at around 28-29C . do i heat it up a degree right now?

Formalin on its own won't treat whitespot.

Do another water change, a really big one (80-90%) to dilute the parasites in the water. The water change will also remove most of the medication. Any chemicals in the water will reduce the amount of oxygen in the water.

Then raise the water temperature to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks.
Whitespot parasites can live at 29C but die at 30C so increase the temperature.

thanks
Formalin on its own won't treat whitespot.

Do another water change, a really big one (80-90%) to dilute the parasites in the water. The water change will also remove most of the medication. Any chemicals in the water will reduce the amount of oxygen in the water.

Then raise the water temperature to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks.
Whitespot parasites can live at 29C but die at 30C so increase the temperature.
thanks!!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back