HELP please! Fish breathing at surface

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Feline

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just set up a new tank few days ago using my existing Fluvel 304 filter & existing water from old tank. Bought new gravel (white) + existing gravel as the substrate.

Water is cloudy, mainly because of the powder from the white gravel (although I've rinsed it 3-4 times).

I thought the cloudiness will disappear after few days. But right now the powder seems to gather near surface so oxygen can't pass through the water no matter how much surface flow (It's a really strong current near surface by outlet from filter + air tube).

Now fish move to top to breath every 2-3 minutes.

What can I do?

Does it got an airstone that might be the problem. Or also it might be that the airstone is not deep enough for them.

Also the gravel might had raise the PH or Ammonia levels

Thanks for the reply!

That's what I thought as well, so I quickly tested the ph and gh, kh and all stay the same as before. Ammonia, nitrite are at 0.

The airstone is at one side of the tank (like an air curtain) so in theory it should supply enough oxygen.

I could see some of the air bubbles "trapped" just underneath the water surface. I tried using a paper towel to remove the film of dust but it doesn't work.

Any solutions?

If you have a fine mesh net, perhaps you can skim across the top and try to remove some of that dust. IF you don't have a net, how about an old pair of panty hose? Sounds to me like that dust is causing the problem. Try to remove as much as you can.

This won't solve your entire problem, but what I do for a layer of dust or scum on water surface is to use a single sheet of newspaper, roughly the size of water surface, lay this down on water surface, wait just a few moments until newspaper looks wet but hasn't started to sink,and then slowly draw the paper towards you and away from the tank. You may have to repeat a couple times to get it all, but I have found method to be effective... and cheap.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've made a 20-25% water change these couple of days and the water clarity seems to have improved. I've also adjusted the outlet to increase aeration.

Now I'm thinking if they go up to breath or try to eat those particles? Cause not ALL of them go up.

I'll try and get a test kit for oxygen content in water (is there such a thing?)

Most reactions

Back