Help Picking An Ro!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

juliethegr8t

Addicted and in Therapy
Reaction score
Hope you guys don't mind that my ?s are actually for freshwater, I was recommended to post here for the most help! :unsure:

I've just moved to a different state, and unfortunately the water here is quite a bit different than in my previous location. It's quite hard and the pH is very high. I keep mostly bettas and a lot of wild species, who of course love their nice soft acidic water. :rolleyes: In order to keep going with my breeding program I'm definitely going to have to do something about this water...

So, question is, what do I need? :) I've been looking at RO units online and have learned a bit about them, but am still unsure if I've found what will be best for my situation. I'm currently looking at the Kent Marine Hi-S RO unit - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113775 - on sale right now at F&S. Is this a good product? It looks to be quite thorough, though one of the slightly less expensive units.

If I get that unit, am I going to need to buy anything else? I don't think I'll need a pump, our water pressure is pretty good. And I'll be hooking it up to some indoor sink.

However, I do know I'll need to add some minerals back to into the water. Any recommendations for which ones, what kind, etc?

Thank you for any and all help.

thats a very good RO unit IMO my friend(where i get my water from) has this RO unit and I have no problems with the water.

heres a good product to restore trace elements and stuff to the water since you don't have salt to do that :good:

Thanks very much! I was checking that product out earlier, actually. :)

Also, am I going to have to add anything to balance the pH at a certain level? What exactly happens to it after it has been through RO? Geez I feel like such a newbie! I'm assuming you have to buffer it somehow? :look:

ro just takes about everything out of the water but the RO right or the product you use to add trace elements back in should make it the correct ph. im not very knowledgeable about freshwater, but in saltwater the salt brings it to correct ph so i guess the RO right should do the same thing

T%hat unit dosent look too bad,
As for re-mineralising the water....

Try mixing ro water with your tap water. a bit of trial and error and you should be able to match the ok ph and hardness of your old water without spending loads of money on water treatments.

start with a 50% R.O, 50% tap water mix and work up or down from there.....
(just remember to dechlor you tap water ;) )

Hope this helps

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back