Help Needed With Boxer Pup Skin Condition

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shelaghfishface

the one and only
Reaction score
hia :)
this is Bambi ( the boxer) weve had her 2 weeks shes 7 months.. was in perfect health when i brought her home, up to date with vacs, fleas and worming treatments- with paperwork to prove.

anyway long story short since shes been here ive shampooed the carpets ( boy can these 2 drag some mud in) and used several carpet air freshening foams
crazy.gif

now as you can see clearly in this pic, shes developed a nasty red itchy rash.. in her ears, face.. have bathed her with salt water, but any advice.. my other dog has no such issues so im assuming its not mange (hoping!!) and like i said she was fine untill 2 days ago,

any advice gratefully received,of course if it gets worse ill get her to the vet, but not much i can do at this time of night :(

shelagh x

bothdogs.jpg

this pic here as she normally looks ( litttle bit red around the mouth.. but now its worse)
bambi2.jpg

She is ADORABLE!

My first thought is diet. What is she eating? We had a boxer/american bulldog mix we got as a puppy and she was on Purina One, which I thought to be a good dog food. She developed a skin irritation/almost infection on the edges of her ears that wouldn't clear up with medication. When we switched her to a real high end dog food, it cleared up within a couple of weeks.

Here's some good information on dog foods in general, since I'm not sure which brands are available where you are. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

ahhh!! yes she was fed 'wagg' by prevous keepers, and she looks very gangly so i thought id fatten her up( or try to) with a mix of bakers complete and chappie...i seriously dont stand a hope in hells chance tho the way she bounces around :lol:
bakers has so many colours in it.. why didnt i think of that
unsure.gif

gonna go to read that right away thankyou so much! :)

It does sound like she's had a reaction to the carpet shampoo & foams.
Best thing is to bathe with just warm water, & if no better in a day or two, take her to the vet.
Boxers do tend to suffer from allergies

Don't change her food too drastically as that can cause digestive problems.
Use a 50/50 mix of old & new food for a while

yes ive read soo much, all conflicting as youd expect
rolleyes.gif
.. maybe if i shampoo the carpet with just water to try and rinse the junk out then get her back onto wagg? i mean if it aint broke :(

oops we said that at the same time.. yeah im thinking that too x

The vet will probably give her a cortozone shot. My Rot gets an allergic reaction every spring. Her mouth and belly turn red and get small bumbs. The shot usually lasts for a month. Two shots a year and she stays comfortable. I would guess it is a dietary or environmental problem. She is a really pretty dog!

If you have dogs expect muddy carpets, I remember my 4 german pointers neat mucky paw prints all over the place, not to mention the slobber on everything lol

59e0c307.jpg

My girls, all gone to rainbow bridge now

If you have dogs expect muddy carpets, I remember my 4 german pointers neat mucky paw prints all over the place, not to mention the slobber on everything lol

:lol: yes they do tend to be neat eh? oh this was a particularly bad case.. id gone out hadnt locked the back door and bambi can reach and use the door handle, they both got out and had a field day on the wettest and muddiest day of the year! how they didnt end up in doggie banardos that day is beyond me :lol: ive now invested in 2 tall baby gates..check mate! :lol:

oh my days caz.. stunning!

The vet will probably give her a cortozone shot. My Rot gets an allergic reaction every spring. Her mouth and belly turn red and get small bumbs. The shot usually lasts for a month. Two shots a year and she stays comfortable. I would guess it is a dietary or environmental problem. She is a really pretty dog!

aww hope it wont come to that because of my stupidity..i hate needles myself! lets hope i can fix her the easier way :) x

One of mine knew how to open doors, especially when we are at my mothers, we'd find her a few doors down the road happily accepting treats & making herself at home.
Hope your boxer improves soon

aww hope it wont come to that because of my stupidity..i hate needles myself! lets hope i can fix her the easier way :) x

Dogs don't have the same problems with injections as humans. If you don't bring it to the dog's attention by fearing an injection you yourself are not going to have then the dog probably won't bother about it. It's given into the skin at the back of the neck and in most cases the animal won't even notice it's been given one. Don't delay with the trip to the vet as if the redness breaks open you may leave the dog liable to infection and then you will have real problems.

My Staffy Thor is prone to skin allergies I have two ways of combating it, one is with a shampoo that has iodine in it (the vet will have all sorts of medicated shampoos that help with nonspecific dermetitis) the second way is I give Thor sardines in natural oil. He loves them and the oils are what seems to help his dry skin. I also changed Thors dry food to an all natural dry food and any treats I try to get natural ones as well. The only food he still gets that may have nasty additives is the tin food he and Leah gets but both dogs like this tin food (Leah has had it her entire 14years and Thor for the past 4 years that we have had him for) and honestly the "all natural" tins are usually smaller tins and at nearly $5 a tin not affordable.
Also I have a strong suspicion that Thor's allergies is more flea and mozzie related so in summer he and Leah both get insect repellents applied at night before going to bed, as well as given long term flea killer tablets once a month.
I would definantly take Bambi to the vet to also rule out any other nasties like mange, the vet can do a skin scrap and check under a microscope to rule out any minute skin parasites.

My first impression with a skin infection as such would be some form of wet eczema normally related to (and caused by) diet allergies more specifically due to them being fed maize or any related product with maize ingredients..... If that is not the case..... I'll have to refer the pics to my very own resident veterinarian (my daughter) to hear what her prognosis is.....

Have you considered a mite infestation like demodex canis. its a mange mite infestation and can cause the symptoms you describe. my advise is to pop her to the vets

A quick trip to the vet never hurts with a young pup. Though it can be costly, I find nothing is more important than my pup's health.

Also, from what I can tell in the pic she isn't overly skinny. Boxers are notoriously thin with broad chests (may have to have an elevated food dish soon too help with digestion), that being said, it never hurts to double check with the vet about her weight and proper diet. Unlike fish food and cat food, I find that dog food labels are pretty accurate in terms of how much to feed dogs. But, again, I will stress that it is important to check with a vet on this as well.

I have a boxweiler (boxer/rottweiler mix) she gets rashes all the time. She is prone to allergies, poor girl, her paws become inflamed and then she licks them and it just gets worse. I had to buy her a "bumper" for when we aren't home so that she won't lick her paws. She only wears it when she has been licking a lot. Most vets will even suggest benadryl for the inflammation/itching however I would DEFINITELY call before administering this. ESPECIALLY as she is just a pup. There are some floor cleaners out there that are safe to use with pets, perhaps that could help, or failing that, one that says it is safe around babies? I would be cautious when using salt water to clean around her mouth; if she ingests some be prepared for runny poo...

Hopefully you can work something out!

Roxy and her "bumper"
418766_10101422383439105_12436926_69044499_172625561_n.jpg

404425_10101422388813335_12436926_69044520_1996457208_n.jpg

Roxy with her bff Emma
Roxy and Emma.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back