Help, my kirbenisis is attacking each other!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

heya....

first thing id ask is are they males and female or same sex???

if they are malefemale then it could be one is ready to breed, and the other not so hot on the idea.
When they do start, you'll notice the female(smaller, fuller more colourful belly) start bending and flipping round the male.

if they are same sex, I know from experience they are pretty intolerant of each other, and you will end up with the dominant one forcing the other into hiding, eventually death.

this page shows a male
this pagea female.

hth

Hey,
Thanks they are both the same sex, despite me aksing for a f and m and then I took it back the next day to find him pull out another female. They are both definatley females but one seems to be different. And the kirbenis male in the pic u gave me has n spots on it?!? Anyway I know what a male looks like :p but I guess I will just wait and see what happens and if it dies i'll make sure he gets a male.

hiya,

you might find that if they are locally tank bred, you have a leaning towards one sex or the other, as ph has an effect regards % of males to females in any given brood.

there is some difference in the patterning, due to regional variation, suffice to say all males dont have spots and some females do.

the males as i said is more elongated with a pointier dorsal fin, and spear shaped tail.
If you are sure its a female , take it back- or relocate it to another tank.
go and study a tank full, and you'll be able to pick out the longer larger specimen, more likely to be males.

dont rely on the LFS guy. use your own discretion, and say "I want THAT fish"!! make him earn his money...... ;)

It was in the corner of the shop and he was behind another tank so i couldn't get in and pick, but this was after he spent about 10minutes trying to catch the pecticular electric yellows i wanted (see my avatar thats one of them)

Most reactions

Back