Help me stock my new tank!

ladynaoko

Fishaholic
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cardiff, Wales
Yup, I got a new tank for xmas - glee!!

Thing is I feel like having a completely different community setup with this one since I actually KNOW what I'm doing with fish now and I'd like to try out a few more species.

I'm trying to plan a stocking list for the 22UK gallon tank which doesn't include most of the fish I've previously had. These are:
white clouds
platies or any other type of livebearers
bettas
black kuhlii loaches
clown plecos
rummy nose tetras

I'm tempted to make my "centerpiece" for the tank either:
dwarf gouramis (though other varieties of gouramis aren't excluded from my thoughts)
OR
a pair of angelfish
OR
another type of fish that may have slipped my mind right now - I'm willing to hear suggestions!!! :D

Once the centerpiece fish is sorted I'll be considering fish to accompany it - I'll definately be getting a variety of catfish/pleco though. It would be wrong for me not to have a pleco in this tank :P

The tank is still cycling so I have a while to plan this and all suggestions are welcome. I'll be putting in the filter from my old 15 G to run alongside the new filter to kickstart the bacteria a bit once I finish getting the tank planted up.
 
I'm sorry to say that your tank isn't big enough for angel fish.
 
Comes to about 27.5 gallons U.S.

I second that comment on the tank being too small for angels.

White clouds should be kept at somewhat colder temperatures, and since you are already getting other schooling fish, I would not suggest getting them.

I take it those bettas would be female...

The loaches are a no-go:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...cfm?pCatId=1072

A dwarf gourami would make a good addition to the tank. :D
 
Hows about some swordtails or guppies? they are very pretty and a good addition to any tank but always go for a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio, always have more females than males to prevent bulling of the females. I've had great success in breeding them!!! The type i have are Pineapple Swordtails.

HTH
 
Guppies would be a very nice addition, if you follow the above advice on 3/1 ratio of female/male. Or a single Dwarf gourami. As you said center piece I take it you mean large, in which case the gourami is probably the nicest of the larger ones, but only on thier own in that tank as they are aggresive towards thier own species and other abantoids such as bettas.

Have you seen honey gouramis? They are often hardier than dwarfs and a lot less aggresive. 3 of those maybe? [EDIT: Instead of the dwarf, hehe]

I also say the angels are a no no.
 
wow. How can a 3" fish need a fricking BGK in a 50 gallon
 
Some suggestions that I think meet all your criteria:

Centerpiece:
2 Bolivian rams or Apistogramma cacatuoides
with:
8 medium sized tetras
1 small plec (bristlenose or bulldog for example)

or

Centerpiece:
2 Pearl Gourami
with:
6 Harlequin rasboras
3 Cherry barbs
1 small plec or a small school of otos

or

Centerpiece:
2 kribs
with:
6 Congo tetras
4 upside-down catfish (not a plec, but a cool catfish)
 
it seems a few of you misread my post :P

The long list of fish were of fishes I do NOT want - not ones I'm thinking of :P most likely my fault for not making it clear enough, sorry about that.


I was highly suspicious about the angels, hence why I asked about them - its rather confusing having several people telling you highly contradictory info irl so I always know its best to come to you guys for advice.

You've all given some very nice suggestions for fish I could use in the tank but unfortunately I'm rather limited to what I can get locally. Modernhamlet suggested rams, which I have loved ever since I started fishkeeping but the only place here that stocks them is full of disease and I refuse to buy anything from there, even food :( I shall look around though.

Thanks for your honest advice everyone!
 
I've personally found Dwarf Guoramis to be wonderful fish :)
The naturally coloured blue and red ones are lovely!
Stocking; 1m:2f
 

Most reactions

Back
Top