Help me setup my Betta fish tank

Oh ok, how do I transfer the betta from the 1 gal to the 5 gal? And do I add the Tetra safe start plus before or after the fish goes in? (Sorry in advance for the many questions I have)
turn the heater on, wait for water to heat
use any type of acclimation
the dip one, drip
any works
put it in there
and do frequent water chang

Set up the tank, wash the sand first, then fill almost full of water. Put the Safe Start in, then transfer the betta to a bag or the cup he came in, and let it float in the tank. If you use the cup make sure it doesn't topple over. After 15 minutes, the water in the cup or bag will be the same as the tank so just tip the cup/bag over and let him swim out in his own time. Since you moved him to the 1 gallon, I assume you used tap water? If so, you don't need to acclimate him using the drip method like you would if he was in store water.

The reason I said to fill the tank almost full is so there's room for the water in the bag/cup. If it's not full afterward, you can top up the tank then.

Hm? Whats that?
so basically you put him in and wait until the water temp is equal inside the container and outside
drip is when you slowly drip warm tank water into the bag the fish is in

Set up the tank, wash the sand first, then fill almost full of water. Put the Safe Start in, then transfer the betta to a bag or the cup he came in, and let it float in the tank. If you use the cup make sure it doesn't topple over. After 15 minutes, the water in the cup or bag will be the same as the tank so just tip the cup/bag over and let him swim out in his own time. Since you moved him to the 1 gallon, I assume you used tap water? If so, you don't need to acclimate him using the drip method like you would if he was in store water.

The reason I said to fill the tank almost full is so there's room for the water in the bag/cup. If it's not full afterward, you can top up the tank then.
Yep, I used Tap water with conditioner.
If water temps are the same, do I still acclimate? If not, what do I do?
Any kind of bag? I already threw away the original cup.

If you used tap water for the 1 gallon, you don't need to acclimate him other than getting the temperature the same.
When you buy fish, the water at the store can be different from your water so you need to change the water bit by bit, but as the 1 gall water is the same as the 5 gall water you only need to equalise the temperature.

In the UK we have plastic bags for putting food in the freezer and the plastic is quite thick so they don't tear in the freezer. Do you have those in the US? If your parents have some, you could use one of those to transfer him.
Or a plastic tub that they don't mind you using and keeping? (I wouldn't use a tub for food after fish water has been in it)

If you used tap water for the 1 gallon, you don't need to acclimate him other than getting the temperature the same.
When you buy fish, the water at the store can be different from your water so you need to change the water bit by bit, but as the 1 gall water is the same as the 5 gall water you only need to equalise the temperature.

In the UK we have plastic bags for putting food in the freezer and the plastic is quite thick so they don't tear in the freezer. Do you have those in the US? If your parents have some, you could use one of those to transfer him.
Or a plastic tub that they don't mind you using and keeping? (I wouldn't use a tub for food after fish water has been in it)
A ziploc bag? Thats what we have...

That would be fine as long as it's new and not been contaminated with anything.

If you can manage it, scoop the betta into the bag.

@Essjay I called the shop and they said that I could dump the 1 gal with the betta into the 5 gal, then drip in same temp water. Would that work? Then after that I add the Tetra Safe Start Plus.

Last edited:
I think I'd still go with scooping him into the bag, then let the bag float in the 5 gal for 15 minutes, then lower the bag into the tank and let him swim out. It would mean less messing about than transferring 5 gal water into the 1 gal, then you'd still have to scoop him out to move him.

You could add the Safe Start before you move or after, whichever would be easiest for you.

I think I'd still go with scooping him into the bag, then let the bag float in the 5 gal for 15 minutes, then lower the bag into the tank and let him swim out. It would mean less messing about than transferring 5 gal water into the 1 gal, then you'd still have to scoop him out to move him.

You could add the Safe Start before you move or after, whichever would be easiest for you.
I think he meant this:
Screenshot 2021-05-26 11.29.28 AM.png

Excuse my horrible drawing.

Most reactions

Back