Help me setup my Betta fish tank

TankRank

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Last night, my parents took me to the aquarium store to get a pet fish because I got good grades this year. The person helping me recommended a betta and said they needed a 5 gallon tank. He also gave me some stress coat, fish food, a internal filter, a 50 watt heater, some Tetra Safe Start Plus, a master test kit, and some sand. I wanted some plant's and some rocks/driftwood but my parents said only if the fish survives 1 month. I didn't understand much of the what the employee was telling me although he sounded pretty knowledgeable. What do I do with the stuff my parents bought me?

Edit: didn't see cycling link already posted, sorry!

Rinsing the sand before putting it in the tank can be a long process but it pays off once you see the finished product! I reccomend a big bucket or mixing bowl never used for chemicals. Just add sand to container, add water, stir it around, dump out the cloudy water and add more water, stir around and repeat until the water is desirable. Using a hose outside is easier but you could also use a sink or tub.

What kind of betta? Congratulations! You'll have to post pictures of your set-up tank ?

The Safe Start Plus says you can add fish instantly though. And I don't think my parents are willing to buy ammonia. :( Also, @PorshaF do I rinse sand/filter and other stuff with dechlorinated water or is tap water okay for rinsing?

Hi there, unfortanately as crazy as it sounds, Pet store owners don't know much. At least places like "Pets at home" etc. They just want your money and do not care if your fish survives.

You do need to Cycle the tank for at least 6 weeks before adding any fish. (both my tanks took 8). Otherwise unfortanately the fish will die. There are plenty of instructions on this forum and online of how to cycle a tank ready for happy healthy fish. A cycle can be accomplished using fish (as a sacrifice) or a fishless cycle. Hopefully somebody will post you a step by step of what to do :).

Wish you all the best on your new hobby ???

Good to support the small businesses!

However unfortantely you do need to create or "grow" good bacteria in your tank to make your fish have the ability to live. This cannot be done in a couple of days or with chemicals etc. There are Hardy fish on the market that can be used to make a fish cycle happen but even these most of the time won't make it through the big ammonia spikes you will get without doing a cycle.

It seems difficult right now as you're new but it really isn't and is so satisfying when finished with a fully established, healthy tank.

?That is also a very helpful and easy to understand way of cycling the tank. WITHOUT fish.

As you have a betta already however your options are:
- Attempt to cycle it with your betta (sorry but it will most likely die)
-Return the betta and cycle fishless as mentioned
- Do not attempt a cycle and keep buying new fish every week when they die :O

There are bacteria boosters, tank starters, magic solutions etc but most are unfortanately gimmicks and do not cycle your tank.

I know many of you guys are against fish-in cycling, but I can't convince my parents to:
A. return the fish (cuz of Covid my family is playing it very safe)
B. Use another 5 bucks to buy ammonia
When I asked them, they just said to cycle with the safe start and the betta because they say the bottle says you can add fish instantly.
Whenever I do get a another tank though I promise to not cheat and I will cycle with ammonia.

You can try to do a fish-in cycle, it is possible.

To give you a bit of background, fish poop ammonia, but this is poisonous to them. In a cycled tank there are bacteria which eat ammonia and they turn it into nitrite. This is also poisonous to fish, but in a cycled tank there are other bacteria which turn this nitrite into nitrate.
In an uncycled tank - a brand new tank - there are none of these bacteria. Tetra Safe Start does contain them, but it takes a couple of weeks for them to get to work, they don't do it instantly.

So until the bacteria in Safe Start can get to work, it is the job of the fish keeper to keep the fish safe. This means testing the water every day for ammonia and nitrite and changing a lot of the water every time they read more than zero. As long as the new water is roughly the same temperature as the tank water (test it with your hand) and has water conditioner added, it won't harm the fish.

If you can persuade your parents to let you have some decor it will make the betta feel safer. Even just a silk plant (not plastic as they have sharp edges which can tear a betta's fins). There are lots of things which eat fish in the wild - bigger fish, bird, animals - and fish feel safer if they have somewhere to hide. They don't know there's nothing coming to eat them in a fish tank, so they are constantly on the look out.

I need to say - well done to the store for selling you a 5 gallon tank. So many stores tell people they need tiny tanks no bigger than a cup.

You have such a big task ahead trying to keep him alive, as you tank is not cycled you will need to monitor the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, the best way to do this is with the api master test kit, look in you local fish store or Amazon! Until you have the kit, I would do daily 50% water changes, making sure you have it to the correct temp and it’s dechlorinated. Once you have the test kit you will need to monitor the levels daily and perform water changes to remove any ammonia, nitrite and then nitrate. The ammonia and nitrite are extremely toxic to fish!!!! There is something called seachem prime which is a dechlorinator but also locks the ammonia etc up for 24 hours (until you fdk another water change). The best thing to do would be to return him however if that is not an option you need to keep his water refreshed daily!!! Also he needs a low flow filter or an adaption to one.

You have such a big task ahead trying to keep him alive, as you tank is not cycled you will need to monitor the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, the best way to do this is with the api master test kit, look in you local fish store or Amazon! Until you have the kit, I would do daily 50% water changes, making sure you have it to the correct temp and it’s dechlorinated. Once you have the test kit you will need to monitor the levels daily and perform water changes to remove any ammonia, nitrite and then nitrate. The ammonia and nitrite are extremely toxic to fish!!!! There is something called seachem prime which is a dechlorinator but also locks the ammonia etc up for 24 hours (until you fdk another water change). The best thing to do would be to return him however if that is not an option you need to keep his water refreshed daily!!! Also he needs a low flow filter or an adaption to one.
Yep, he sold me a master test kit!

The safe start plus is a 3.38 oz bottle for a 5 gal tank. The bottle says add entire bottle for up to 20 gal. Is 3.28 oz too much for my 5 gal tank?

Most reactions

Back