Help Me Out Here Please Folks.

doresy

Sometimes Right, Sometimes Wrong but ALWAYS certai
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
3,845
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
I have only got a Rio 125 due to weight so limited I know!

So far I have smooth black gravel with grey stone 3D background.

Water goes in tonight and am lucky enough to have loads of matured media at my disposal so I am hoping for a pretty quick cycling process (but I know how these things go sometimes!)

I am filling it with 'holey' artificial ocean type rock (again, for the weight issue).


My intention is for some sort of colourful Cichlid set up. Also a suitable small Plec.

Ok, I know the tank is not ideal but there must be an option.

Previously it has been suggested to try Kribs (which I do like the look of) also Jewel/Flag/Keyhole Cichlids.

Starting with a pair of Kribs and some sort of Plec how about suggesting a couple of possible stocking suggestions including number of? I suppose a pair of Rams are out?

I have a while to make up my mind but it would be great to have a plan and I know how you people LOVE to pass on your thoughts! :lol:
 
Unfortunately IMO rams are out, not a good idea with kribs, especially in a limited space. The keyholes could be a possibilty, peaceful and less likely to bother the kribs than the rams.

Plec, bristlenose is the obvious choice.
 
I love my checkerboard cichlid. I think the latin name is dicrossus filamentosus. They are active, inquisitive and supremely peaceful. They like to toodle around the bottom of the tank, nap on the big anubia leaves and sometimes when things get exciting, they swim with the diamond tetras. They are very,very pretty fish in my opinion.

My bossy little ram makes a half-hearted attempt at chasing him but seems to lose interest quickly. The checkerboard doesn't seem the least bit worried about the ram and sort of ignores him. Seems like a bit of a game. I don't have a female ram though, only a male. Adding a female might make things more stressful. But for now they get along fine.

checkerboardciclid.jpg
 
I'd go with a pair of Neolamprologus leleupi,

IMO species like dicrossus filamentosus, Nannacara, Rams and Keyholes thrive much more in planted tanks
 
Thanks for that.

I forgot to mention that it will not be planted. However, I would add a bit of bogwood for the Plec with maybe a smattering of Java Fern here and there.

Ok, I sort of think the Rams are out (shame)

I'm ok with Kribs by the sounds of it now how many? As I think they pair does that mean just 1 male and 1 female?

I really need to know numbers.

Lets say I go for 1x male-female Krib and a B/N plec (unless someone can suggest something more original)

What will go with the to fill the tank?
 
What are the tank dimensions?

125 litres has plenty of posibilities, but they all depend on length available. e.g. you wouldnt want to put a deep water loving fish in shallow water, and you wouldnt want to put a 15cm fish where there is only 20cm turning space.
 
What are the tank dimensions?

125 litres has plenty of posibilities, but they all depend on length available. e.g. you wouldnt want to put a deep water loving fish in shallow water, and you wouldnt want to put a 15cm fish where there is only 20cm turning space.


Volume: approx. 125 Litres
Measurements: 81 x 36 x 50 cm
 

Most reactions

Back
Top