Help me justify the set up cost :D

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My garage is full of tools, a weedwacker, a snowblower, a thatch removing device, car waxes, paint brushes, a 50s fridge, and mancave decor. The car is relegated to the driveway. Works for me.

Also, in the states, Petco has a $1 a gallon tank sale a few times a year.

Walmart sells a 10 gallon tank with filter, light and hood for just $30 shipped right to your door, You would just need to buy a heater, fish and food.

Black Friday coming up :D Plus maybe see if there's a local fish group near you? You could trade or buy off them for probably much cheaper than buying new in the store. You could also look at local groups for sourcing your fish, which could save some money.

Setting up our 38 gal bowfront from nothing has cost us all together around $750. The hubs is wanting to set up a second, even bigger tank so we're a bit in the same boat as you in justifying the cost.

I guess a good thing about it is it's a large investment but for a long term payout. It might seem like a lot all at once, but if you're going to have a fishtank for the forseeable future, you'll be investing 600-800$ but it's something that is going to last for potentially over a decade, so the cost starts to even out when you look long term.

Will be keeping an eye out for any Black Friday deals! Also January ones

Think I am convinced guys ;)

Got a list of fish that I would like but may need some help on the numbers of each that I can have

Go get the tank, set it up and start it cycling - since that might have changed since you last had fish, this is the way we now recommend https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

While that's going along, post your fish wish-list :)

Oh yes will def only be doing a fishless cycle. Already have pure ammonia in the garage that I can use to kick start things.

Currently looking at these on the basis that I am going to go for the larger Lido 200:

1 Dwarf male Gourami

Platys or Mollies - help on how many would be appreciated! thinking 7 or 8??

Panda Corys - again help on the number I could have would be great. I am thinking 6 or 7

Would also love to have a bristlenose

As for substrate would like to use this

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/fish/fish/fish-tank-gravel-and-sand/black-sand-8kg

will also include wood and live plants too

Just so we know the size of the tank in question, it is almost cubic in shape rather than a standard rectangular, 71 cm wide x 51 cm deep x 65 cm tall (21 x 20 x 25.5 inches) and 200 litres (53 gallons)

The main thing with your list is that you have hard water fish (platies, mollies) and soft water fish. We now know we need to keep fish that come from the same hardness as our tap water, so you have incompatible fish, I'm afraid.
As you are in the UK (or you wouldn't be looking at sand in Pets@Home ;) ) do a search on your water company's website for 'hardness'. You need a number, rather than a vague word, and the unit - UK water companies have a habit of using different units from fish keeping.

Dwarf gouramis are commonly infected with iridovirus by the time they reach the shops. Make sure that all the gouramis in the tank look fit and healthy. If even one looks iffy, go somewhere else. Or buy a different species.

The sand - it's hard to tell from the photo, but cories need fine, smooth sand. Check on this in the shop before you buy. And with Pets@Home, don't ask the employees for any advice on fish - they have a terrible reputation.

Just so we know the size of the tank in question, it is almost cubic in shape rather than a standard rectangular, 71 cm wide x 51 cm deep x 65 cm tall (21 x 20 x 25.5 inches) and 200 litres (53 gallons)

The main thing with your list is that you have hard water fish (platies, mollies) and soft water fish. We now know we need to keep fish that come from the same hardness as our tap water, so you have incompatible fish, I'm afraid.
As you are in the UK (or you wouldn't be looking at sand in Pets@Home ;) ) do a search on your water company's website for 'hardness'. You need a number, rather than a vague word, and the unit - UK water companies have a habit of using different units from fish keeping.

Dwarf gouramis are commonly infected with iridovirus by the time they reach the shops. Make sure that all the gouramis in the tank look fit and healthy. If even one looks iffy, go somewhere else. Or buy a different species.

The sand - it's hard to tell from the photo, but cories need fine, smooth sand. Check on this in the shop before you buy. And with Pets@Home, don't ask the employees for any advice on fish - they have a terrible reputation.

Water here is very hard 370 mg/l

Know the livebearers will be ok. Have a friend who is successfully keeping Cory's with basically the same water hence why they made my list.

After reading up on here I am now wary of the dwarf gouramis but will keep an eye out for problems

Also will definitely not be getting fish or advice at P@H !! Got another LFS that I can go to. Might go have a chat with them as to what their water is in their tanks

Some shops adjust the water in a bank of tanks so they can keep fish which need a different type of water form the local water. But even if they keep them all in hard tap water, soft water fish will not suffer immediately from being in hard water. It is a long term effect - calcium builds up in the kidneys of soft water fish kept in hard water and this reduces their life span.

Some shops adjust the water in a bank of tanks so they can keep fish which need a different type of water form the local water. But even if they keep them all in hard tap water, soft water fish will not suffer immediately from being in hard water. It is a long term effect - calcium builds up in the kidneys of soft water fish kept in hard water and this reduces their life span.

Ok thanks for that. What others would you recommend instead please??

I would not recommend P@H branded sand. I read a lot of reviews when I set up a new tank that suggested that their sand affected pH and hardness, which suggests there is something in it other than sand.

If you want buff (ie beach sand coloured) sand many people use Argos play sand. The first pic in this thread Back to black is Argos play sand before I changed it for black limpopo sand (pics later in the same thread). The Argos sand is much cheaper but does require a good bit of rinsing. The black stuff costs more and needs less rinsing, what you choose is down to personal preferance.

I would not recommend P@H branded sand. I read a lot of reviews when I set up a new tank that suggested that their sand affected pH and hardness, which suggests there is something in it other than sand.

If you want buff (ie beach sand coloured) sand many people use Argos play sand. The first pic in this thread Back to black is Argos play sand before I changed it for black limpopo sand (pics later in the same thread). The Argos sand is much cheaper but does require a good bit of rinsing. The black stuff costs more and needs less rinsing, what you choose is down to personal preferance.

Thank you that’s really helpful! Definitely definitely want black sand so will look into the limpopo sand.

Am now slightly put off again however at my lack of fish options due to my poxy hard water

Thank you that’s really helpful! Definitely definitely want black sand so will look into the limpopo sand.

Am now slightly put off again however at my lack of fish options due to my poxy hard water
I got mine online from swell uk, seemed to be the best price at the time and is decent quality. I usually suggest that people keep fish suited to their water - but yours is very hard and your options are quite limited. One option may be to mix your water 50:50 with RO water but you need to think about the cost and convenience.

My local maidenhead aquatics sells RO at £3.50 for 25 litres (don't buy the jerry cans from them they are much much cheaper on Amazon ;)). I also have very hard water and did this for a while. Since my weekly water change is 200 litres I got fed up of lugging 100 litres per week from the fish shop and ended up getting my own RO filter. That is not without a cost though. Our water is metered (a lot is wasted when you make RO) and it takes me a couple of days to refill my containers after the weekend.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back