Help Me I"m A Newbie

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

they should do :good:

what size tank do you have? are you fishless cycling?

Question is will they die during the cycling.

ummmmm....... in what way is that the question ??? if the OP fishless cycles then there's no need to have any fish in danger!

Depends on the size of tank. Danios are very active little things and really need a 3 foot tank to get an outlet for their activity needs. They also need to be in a sizeable school, at least 6-8. Smaller groups of danios, particularly if confined in small tank, are likely to develop aggression issues.

As long as there is enough size, there's no reason they shouldn't get along with the common livebearers.

Guppies and platies are fine in a 2 foot tank. With them, it's more a question of gender distribution.

If you keep just a couple of males together, or males with not enough females, you may get aggression problems. A large group of male guppies (say at least 6) usually works well- as agression is spread. Females on their own works even better, but most people don't like them so well because they're less pretty. But very nice fish. If you want mixed sexes, a ratio of 1 male/2-3 females is fine- but they will breed like rabbits, so you'll need to rehome the fry. Also note that females can store sperm and may already be pregnant from the shop.

More or less the same goes for platies, though I have found platy males very temperamental.

In my experience guppies and platies get on very well together.

Mollies are more difficult to advise on as they are several different species- and hybrids of several different species. They can get very big, so need a sizeable tank. Also, they tend to be more sensitive to water stats, a lot of them really do need hard alkaline water, and many even prefer brackish. I tried to keep black mollies in a soft water tank when I was a child and they were constantly falling ill. The same thing about gender applies to mollies as to guppies.

Other fish that go well with the livebearers are bottom dwellers such as corydoras, khuulie loaches, bristlenose plecs (if tank is large enough). Note that corydoras and khuulies are schooling fish, so you need to keep a group of at least 3-4.

Couple of points that need to be addressed

1. I'm a girl, some people are getting their he/she him/her pronouns mixed up!
2. My tank is 35 Gallons
3. Just in Case i will put the platies (which are hardy fish, right?) for 2 weeks then add other fish, slowly

Questions

1. In which order should I add the fish?
2. Should I buy some ich/white spot medicine in case?

Thank You,

Sophie

As miss Wiggle says. Fishless cycle first. But after that, 35 gallons is a nice size and no reason you shouldn't keep the fish you mentioned. Though I would suggest instead of quite so many surface dwellers to get a school of bottom dwellers too, like corydoras. Or a bristlenose plec.
My own preference would be to cut out the guppies (can be difficult to find healthy guppies these days) and do the others. I'd put the danios and platies in straight after the fishless cycle and then add bottom dweller(s) after a few weeks.

Just as an FYI for anyone else replying to this post to put this into context. The OP has pm'd me, she's 10 and wants to fishless cycle but her parents have been advised by the fish shop to wait 2 weeks, take in a sample of water then get some hardy fish. :rolleyes:

hopefully with a bit of help we can get the OP to convince her parents to do the fishless cycle. :good:

Hi MW, yes, she PM'd me the same and I've been trying to think up some creative ideas to help her with the parents. It occurred to me that it would be wonderful if she could enlist a teacher and invoke the nitrogen cycle as a learning thing - perhaps the teacher at some point would help the parents understand that there is more to it than the LFS knows about...

~~waterdrop~~
ps. I think its wonderful, the effort that soda is making! (Oliver does too!)

~~waterdrop~~

absolutley :good:

what i thought is if she approaches it with maturity, collects some articles and asks her parents to sit down and discuss them with her that may persuade them.

tbh if it was me and my 10 yr ol daughter approached me in that manner, proved she'd done her research and wanted to show responsibility and do the right thing for her pets, well it'd certainly make me sit up nad take notice enough to consider what she was saying seriously.

i've never tried but can you print directly from the forum? if works well then someone on here can type up a new version of the fishless cycle thread but make it a little more professional but still easy for beginners to understand. maybe then we can have it pinned or something as the printable version. at least this way the more experieced fish keepers can put they're stamp of approval on it

just an idea :blush:

Hi MW, yes, she PM'd me the same and I've been trying to think up some creative ideas to help her with the parents. It occurred to me that it would be wonderful if she could enlist a teacher and invoke the nitrogen cycle as a learning thing - perhaps the teacher at some point would help the parents understand that there is more to it than the LFS knows about...

~~waterdrop~~

WOO HOO WOO HOO WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to you (waterdrop and miss wiggle+everyone else who posted) my parents are going to let me fishless cycle, i'm ecstatic!

(Say hi to oliver for me!)

i've never tried but can you print directly from the forum? if works well then someone on here can type up a new version of the fishless cycle thread but make it a little more professional but still easy for beginners to understand. maybe then we can have it pinned or something as the printable version. at least this way the more experieced fish keepers can put they're stamp of approval on it

just an idea :blush:

good idea!

however most people just copy, paste and print!

Well this is great news!

Soda, it will be important for both you and your parents to know going in that fishless cycling can be very, very trying on your patience. That said, I think you already know that its better than having to deal with dying fish who were put into water that was not ready!

Good luck and yes, I'll say hi to Oliver tonight for ya.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back