Help me get back into fish keeping

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

TheTenthDoctor

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Things have kinda gone down the drain for me. I havenā€™t really been into fish keeping. I just have been really really sick. Plus school. Now Iā€™m done with school forever, so I need other stuff to do. Iā€™m back to fish keeping. I need help to get started again and please drop your advice below

Harder waterā€¦I work 3 jobs so money is definitely in mind but Iā€™m not 1050 % broke. Also I am moving out to live by myself so room isnā€™t an issue
@AmyKieran

Okay do you have your kh and gh ? You can usually find this in your water companies website. Just find the numbers and post them here

Things have kinda gone down the drain for me. I havenā€™t really been into fish keeping. I just have been really really sick. Plus school. Now Iā€™m done with school forever, so I need other stuff to do. Iā€™m back to fish keeping. I need help to get started again and please drop your advice below
Sorry you've been so poorly. I hope you're feeling better now. Do you still have any fish right now?

Okay so you have relatively hard water . It states on the website that throughout different seasons of the year the hardness will vary from 5-13.8 grains per gallon but averaging at 9.8. Do you have any hard water fish in mind?

So Iā€™m a guppy fanatic. Iā€™m also a beta fanatic. I use Indian almond leaves and never had any problems. But I need some suggestions. Iā€™ve got quite a few tanks. 10,20,5.5, and 29

Iā€™d go small low maintenance simply because your working a load youā€™re young and want your own place iv been there itā€™s great do what you want when you want and something that requires lots of maintenance is going to become a hindrance to your life style and possibly make fish keeping even worse . All Iā€™m saying is that pointtt in life things change often and swiftly donā€™t buy something that is a financial commitment as once you live on your own all the energy thatā€™s required to run this tank is out of your pocket

Just start simple to keep the costs down. And basically, even as an experienced aquarist things can be kept basic to have a successful hobby. If you'd go with the commercial flow, you seem to need a lot of things to establish a successful hobby. Which is nonsense, of course... A few decades ago, the aquatic hobby went just fine with a basic set up. That can still be done. Even I do that. It's the commercial world that made making choices harder. My motto is: Think basic and be creative...

So Iā€™m a guppy fanatic. Iā€™m also a beta fanatic. I use Indian almond leaves and never had any problems. But I need some suggestions. Iā€™ve got quite a few tanks. 10,20,5.5, and 29
Cool, So you could set up a ten gallon betta tank or 29 gallon for the existing guppies plus a new species or two? The 29 could have a group of 10-12 corydoras (Aeneus, Sterbai...) and/or cherry shrimp for the lower tank, maybe a school of x-ray tetra? You have experience of live plants and these would be ideal in either/both tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back