Help me fix up my aquarium

Fishareconfusing101

Reaction score
Wondering if there is any way to make my aquarium better details are:
-been in existence with these fish for about a year
-2 gourami
-2 amono shrimp
-2 snails plus mini infestation but it hasnā€™t been to bad
-1 dwarf snowball pleco (only 2-3 inches)
-ten gallon tall aquarium
-filter approved for 15 gallons
-heater approved for the same
-3 Amazon swords
-1 red plant (donā€™t know what it is)
-1 Anubis on the log (I think)
On a budget but any ideas are welcom
image.jpg
image.jpg

Put a picture on the back of the tank to hide the cables and make the fish feel more secure. You can buy aquarium backings from any pet shop or online. You can also use coloured card, a plastic bin liner or even newspaper. Just tape it to the outside on the back.

Have some taller plants along the back. Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma and narrow Vallis can all be grown there.

Some floating plants will provide shade for the gouramis so they won't hide as much.

I go for easy low budget stuff as I'm not the best with plants. Egeria or elodea densea is great and easy to care for, a few bunches of that tend to transform a small tank, and it can be floating or rooted. Amazon swords, java ferns etc are all things I go for as they're low maintenance, cheap to buy and pretty hardy.

Can't quite tell from your pic but the red plant looks similar to a lotus, but if you post another picture of it, it may be easier to tell. If that is what it is, they can grow really well with some well-placed root tabs.

Wondering if there is any way to make my aquarium better details are:
-been in existence with these fish for about a year
-2 gourami
-2 amono shrimp
-2 snails plus mini infestation but it hasnā€™t been to bad
-1 dwarf snowball pleco (only 2-3 inches)
-ten gallon tall aquarium
-filter approved for 15 gallons
-heater approved for the same
-3 Amazon swords
-1 red plant (donā€™t know what it is)
-1 Anubis on the log (I think)
On a budget but any ideas are welcomView attachment 335274View attachment 335275
Beautiful tank. Your tank fish and plants look fine. If your looking for a up-lift, you can use a power sand on top of the gravel substrate.

Nice setup ! Simple is beautiful !

Trying not to repeat too much what already been said.

It looks like your amazon swords are buried a little too deep, that is why you have some leaves melting. Try to pull them a little to expose the crown and leave only the roots in the substrate.

Your Anubia looks great !!! The roots on it is well developed and the leaves are healthy.

Tall plants and top cover is the recipe for an happy Gourami.

You could remove the air stone Gouramies are not very fond of them, and make sure the tank has the slowest water movement possible. But still with enough surface agitation.

A lid is a must because they will jump. A dark background will also be welcome.

Next water change. Try to vacuum the mulm in your substrate close to your glass, It will give an instant cleaner look.

Tall tanks are not really the best thing for Gouramies, But you can lower the water level a bit and it will give you space to put floating plants.

In reality a 10 gallons tall tank is about the same fishes housing space as a 5 gallons long. So I don't think your overstocked... but close, you need to try to remove as much poop as possible at each water changes and your water quality should be relatively easy to maintain.

Put a picture on the back of the tank to hide the cables and make the fish feel more secure. You can buy aquarium backings from any pet shop or online. You can also use coloured card, a plastic bin liner or even newspaper. Just tape it to the outside on the back.

Have some taller plants along the back. Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma and narrow Vallis can all be grown there.

Some floating plants will provide shade for the gouramis so they won't hide as much.
Just to echo this. A background is a great idea. IMO, you can't go wrong with basic black. The color of the fish and plants pop against it. The fish like it better. And it sort of camouflages some equipment. Nothing fancy is needed. Black construction paper or poster board. Try to find the flattest, most matte black you can so that you don't get a glare.

Thank u will def try some of this!

Nice setup ! Simple is beautiful !

Trying not to repeat too much what already been said.

It looks like your amazon swords are buried a little too deep, that is why you have some leaves melting. Try to pull them a little to expose the crown and leave only the roots in the substrate.

Your Anubia looks great !!! The roots on it is well developed and the leaves are healthy.

Tall plants and top cover is the recipe for an happy Gourami.

You could remove the air stone Gouramies are not very fond of them, and make sure the tank has the slowest water movement possible. But still with enough surface agitation.

A lid is a must because they will jump. A dark background will also be welcome.

Next water change. Try to vacuum the mulm in your substrate close to your glass, It will give an instant cleaner look.

Tall tanks are not really the best thing for Gouramies, But you can lower the water level a bit and it will give you space to put floating plants.

In reality a 10 gallons tall tank is about the same fishes housing space as a 5 gallons long. So I don't think your overstocked... but close, you need to try to remove as much poop as possible at each water changes and your water quality should be relatively easy to maintain.
This actually helped a lot especially with the plants thank u so much I will be sure to update this post in a few days when I finish up doing some of these suggestions thank u to everyone else as well

This is the aquarium now with some of your suggestions added! I am so happy with how it looks it looked pretty good already but itā€™s crazy how just adding a couple cheap things made it look so much better! Thank you guys and any more suggestions are appreciated! The colors are a little dull from the camera but it still looks great!
image.jpg

Did you get giant/ jungle Vallis or narrow Vallis?
You want narrow Vallis because jungle Vallis doesn't do well in aquariums and can grow to over 6 feet in length. You can also get twisted/ corkscrew Vallis, which is a nice plant for small aquariums.

When you will reach enough cover and tall plants to make your gouramies feel completely safe, they will start using the upper part of the tank a lot more.

If they have enough cover, they are a lot like bettas they love to hang near the surface to have quick access to air. They also love to crash in a bunch of plants near the surface. And take a sunbath waiting for some "food" to pass along.

If you have 2 males. they will sometimes fight a little... If this behaviour persist and becomes overwhelming. More tall plants is the solution.

In fact you could put enough to not see the back of the tank and they would love it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back