Help! Kinda made a split second decision. Need your opinions

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
It all depends on the temperament of the betta. Does it flare instantly when you hold a mirror up to the tank? If so, it will most likely eat the shrimp.

I do have experience with Betta and shrimp, so I can give some insight on this. What is his "attitude"? Was he flaring at the pet shop, etc.

NCaquatics

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
It all depends on the temperament of the betta. Does it flare instantly when you hold a mirror up to the tank? If so, it will most likely eat the shrimp.

I do have experience with Betta and shrimp, so I can give some insight on this. What is his "attitude"? Was he flaring at the pet shop, etc.
not necessarily. My female never flares at things. She ripped my shrimp apart.

Lajos_Detari

Fishaholic
Reaction score
All small fish and shrimps will be killed or eaten by Bettas.
Bettas are aggressive fish and its their natural instinct to fight or even to kill.
Probably only the veil tail Betta is ok in community tank with peaceful but bigger fish. But its big tail will be at risk.
Other fish will nip its big tail and fins.

I think you just put it in a container as someone suggested earlier with an air stone.
Get the biggest container that you can.
Very importantly, acclimatize the shrimp slowly with the water in your container.

Recently, I watched a youtube video about shrimps.
The person has two tiers stand for tanks.
The top tier has mostly aggressive fish plus Peacock Gudgeons.
The bottom tier has all his shrimps.
One day, one of the Peacock Gudgeons accidentally jumped out of his top tank and landed in the bottom tank.
He said his whole colony of shrimps were wiped out/eaten by the Peacock Gudgeons.
That is how aggressive the Peacock Gudgeon.

Last edited:
OP
W

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
All small fish and shrimps will be killed or eaten by Bettas.
Bettas are aggressive fish and its their natural instinct to fight or even to kill.
Probably only the veil tail Betta is ok in community tank with peaceful but bigger fish. But its big tail will be at risk.
Other fish will nip its big tail and fins.

I think you just put it in a container as someone suggested earlier with an air stone.
Get the biggest container that you can.
Very importantly, acclimatize the shrimp slowly with the water in your container.

Recently, I watched a youtube video about shrimps.
The person has two tiers stand for tanks.
The top tier has mostly aggressive fish plus Peacock Gudgeons.
The bottom tier has all his shrimps.
One day, one of the Peacock Gudgeons accidentally jumped out of his top tank and landed in the bottom tank.
He said his whole colony of shrimps were wiped out/eaten by the Peacock Gudgeons.
That is how aggressive the Peacock Gudgeon.
Ok. Peacock gudgeons aren’t aggressive. They just thought of the shrimp as snacks

OP
W

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ok, for know I will put them in a breeder net in a 20 gallon community tank.

NCaquatics

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Ok, for know I will put them in a breeder net in a 20 gallon community tank.
This would be another good solution. Make sure to add lots of plants to the breeder net to help them feel secure

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Same with my betta. He was scared of fingers and mirrors. Never flared once and killed my shrimp
Mine seemed happy as a lark. Finally figured out it was because he had a belly full of shrimp. Lol!