Help! Injury to scales is it serious? (Newbie)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

trio

Reaction score
Hi, I hope you can help me. I just added my first fish yesterday- two Zebra Danios, and I am new to fishkeeping. (My water is ok and I am testing it)

Just now my hubbie decided to clean the outside of the tank with a cloth and spray. It was a bit noisy and we noticed that this was really frightening them and stopped, but it was too late and one had disappeared, we couldnt find it. I saw a bloom of dust from the gravel behind a log, and realised it had probably buried itself in the gravel. Then just as we were going to try and rescue it, it had reappeared again.

They are calm again now, but I have noticed that one of them now has some white patches down one side that seem to be where it has lost some scales that have been brushed off by the gravel? Will it be ok? Will they grow back, or can I do anything to help this? I am sure that this is what happened.

I am hoping you can help or reassure me as we are already very attached to our lovely fish.

Thank you

you can add melafix the the tank, this will act as a stress reliver and an anti-bacterial and anti fungal medication.

thank you for your reply, I will get some tomorrow, is it a repairable problem or is it serious?

The melafix, as well as having good quality water, usually works for most fish injuries. I've had fish with scraped scales, split & torn fins once in a while, all have healed fine just with keeping up on water changes. Doesn't sound too serious to me.

Tolak

Most reactions

Back