Help identifying this fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes! My fish are over 3" and maybe getting closer to 4". I do think they are Acrossochelius paradoxus. Thank you! Hard to find much on them... I think they need a larger aquarium to swim in. Wonder if I get get the pet store to take them back. Not sure if they still want to school... they were not in a school that I remember... they act more like red tail black sharks and Baja sharks... but they are even quicker and even more active swimmers, darting around my plants with amazing speed and deftness... and they love feeding time they aggressively go for the frozen bloodworms, but so far haven't hurt any of my other fish.

This "acceptance" of the inappropriate situation may not last, in fact it is all but certain it will not last.

This seems to be a difficult concept for many especially newer aquarists to understand, namely that a shoaling species absolutely must be in a group. This is programmed into the genetic blueprint of the species, and we cannot change it. The behaviour of an individual fish in a shoaling species may seem to change, and this is because the fish must respond to this anomaly in some manner. Scientific evidence is clear that the normal response is aggression. This may show itself immediately, or days later, or weeks later, or even months depending upon the species and the individual fish. Fish introduced to a new environment such as bringing them home from the store tank where they have been for whatever number of days or weeks do not always follow the norm. But once the fish becomes more settled in its new home, things usually change. It is never a good idea to ignore what the fish considers essential to its survival--being in a group of its own.

Given the species, its size, its need, and you tank aspects, returning them would probably be the best course. One thing is certain, that keeping them in their present environment is not humane to the fish. We cannot fight against nature.

This guy seems to just be spreading negative energy. The fish hobby isn't that complicated or hard to do. I've heard him say so much bs already. Even though I've only reached out a couple times. I've been doing this 10+ years and I have my own fish store. Idc how long you've been doing this, or what your budget is, anyone can do this, it's just a matter of figuring out how it works for you. Species usually tend to adapt to the bad things that happen to them. Just check out the round goby and the giant ball python. Forced to either live or die in the new conditions people have put them in. Literally any time anyone buys a fish and puts it in their tank, there's the same chance that's it's gonna die than anything else being put into the wrong environment.
All in all, schooling fish don't necessarily need to have an entire school. As fish like that get older that tend to get more independent too.

Don't get me wrong, if the fish grew up in a school, then it prob needs a a couple other fish. If not then it will most definitely be okay

No fish stereotypes are necessarily true, science sure proves a lot, but it isn't enough to outweigh the fact that fish are very adaptable creatures.

This guy seems to just be spreading negative energy. The fish hobby isn't that complicated or hard to do. I've heard him say so much bs already. Even though I've only reached out a couple times. I've been doing this 10+ years and I have my own fish store. Idc how long you've been doing this, or what your budget is, anyone can do this, it's just a matter of figuring out how it works for you. Species usually tend to adapt to the bad things that happen to them. Just check out the round goby and the giant ball python. Forced to either live or die in the new conditions people have put them in. Literally any time anyone buys a fish and puts it in their tank, there's the same chance that's it's gonna die than anything else being put into the wrong environment.
All in all, schooling fish don't necessarily need to have an entire school. As fish like that get older that tend to get more independent too.

Don't get me wrong, if the fish grew up in a school, then it prob needs a a couple other fish. If not then it will most definitely be okay
Disagreeing is fine, but keep it civil. Thank you. Two very knowledgeable and respected forum members have shared some very solid, scientifically valid information. Cautioning someone against a potentially harmful situation does not constitute "spreading negative energy," and it certainly is not BS. We aren't all going to agree all the time. Let's all play nice, people.

@brazosfish I don't have any experience with this species, but it is a cyprinid which means it is almost certainly a schooling fish in nature. (also, it seems to get quite large: see here) Schooling fish can often survive on their own, but to do their best they need to be kept in schools. Among other things, the stress of being alone can indeed lead to aggression, depending on the species. It sounds like returning it to the pet store, if they'll take it, would be the best course of action.

Disagreeing is fine, but keep it civil. Thank you. Two very knowledgeable and respected forum members have shared some very solid, scientifically valid information. Cautioning someone against a potentially harmful situation does not constitute "spreading negative energy," and it certainly is not BS. We aren't all going to agree all the time. Let's all play nice, people.

@brazosfish I don't have any experience with this species, but it is a cyprinid which means it is almost certainly a schooling fish in nature. (also, it seems to get quite large: see here) Schooling fish can often survive on their own, but to do their best they need to be kept in schools. Among other things, the stress of being alone can indeed lead to aggression, depending on the species. It sounds like returning it to the pet store, if they'll take it, would be the best course of action.
The other good course of action would be setting up a gigantic tank and getting a school of them! Then post lots of pictures. :lol:

No fish stereotypes are necessarily true, science sure proves a lot, but it isn't enough to outweigh the fact that fish are very adaptable creatures.
As all living creatures, they have the ability to adapt to the situation they're in.
There's a difference between shoaling and schooling. There are fish species that swim individually but do shoal at certain times. But that doesn't make them schooling fish. Schooling fish that are kept solitary or just as 2 or 3, won't school. It needs more specimens to school. And most of the times it needs some other fish to let them school. Otherwise, you'll see them individually or in small groups stray. So, I do get your point.

But I would also like to add that this is a friendly forum. And the way you've been responding isn't much of an adult way to reply. So please, keep it decent. You may differ in opinion. That's all okay. For everyone is entitled to have their own point of view. Byron has only stated his own point of view which he substantiates with scientific research as a base. Doesn't mean that this is the only good thing about this all. Scientific research is also subject to fluctuations and results can be adjusted if needed. That's how the scientific world works.
But again, I do agree that a solitary schooling fish will adapt to the situation it's in. If it's desirable to change its behavior when kept solo, is something different.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back