Help Identifying Shrimp Specie

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Junaid75

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this hobby and need help identifying the shrimp I purchased recently.
My lfs said its Amano but it seems a different specie.

Attachments

• AMANO.jpg
    AMANO.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 152
It's a bit spotty for an amano, but I have no idea what it actually is.

At first thought it was a male amano and then looked closer then thought hang on, is that a berried female with green eggs?

Does not look like a ghost shrimp as does not have that usual spine shape.

Does not look like the usual neocardina shrimps either unless it’s a skinny berried female perhaps.

Bit of in between an amano and neocardina species ...........

I was once told that there are several different species traded under the name 'amano'. It could be any of those.

I was once told that there are several different species traded under the name 'amano'. It could be any of those.

There are quite a few species of just about every livestock going that are traded under several different names, most likely due to the LFS owner or staff not knowing what they have exactly and just coming up with the first name they come across on google search and saying that’ll do!

But yes, I have heard the same thing though about amanos, quite annoying actually imho.

Typical amanos don't have those small spots. Males have a row of biggish dots down their sides from head to tail while females have a row of dashes.

The other thing that makes me think they are not amanos is that in the first photo, it appears to be a female carrying something under her abdomen which do not look like the eggs female amanos carry. I had amanos some years ago, and they carried perfectly spherical eggs.

Yours look like the shrimp at the top of this page, but they don't say what it is!!!

Caridina cantonensis, that’s bee shrimps is it not?

Normally those have stripes across the bodies.

Normally expensive too, especially for high graded ones.

Caridina cantonensis, that’s bee shrimps is it not?

Normally those have stripes across the bodies.

Normally expensive too, especially for high graded ones.
Thinking the original wild colour of them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back