Help identifying a fish!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PaddlingPuffin

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently got a tank of tetras and guppies etc. but the previous owners couldn't remember the species of this fish (the bigger one in the photo). They're transparent in some lights and blue in others and they're my favourite! Could anyone help me identify the species and whether they're male or female? Thanks!
IMG_20210816_101616.jpg

I agree. There are some important facts to know about this fish, and as I have no idea as to your level of knowledge, but since you did ask for ID...I will just mention them.

The natural species is Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, native to the Rio Orinoco basin, in llanos or savanna areas, in Venezuela and Columbia. It is found in standing water pools and ponds scattered around the dry landscape. The genus name derives from the Greek mikr [= small], geo [= earth] and phag [= eat], literally "small eartheater," which refers to the fact that this is a fish that feeds primarily from the substrate. The species epithet is Latin and honours Manuel Ramirez, an early collector and exporter of the species.

All ornamental varieties developed over the past decades share identical requirements and behaviours.

You asked about gender, and guessing I would think this fish in the photo is male, but I wouldn't dispute a different opinion. Behaviour in the aquarium if you have more than one of this species/variety would be a clue. Males are territorial, and readily defend "their" area which can be the entire tank. But if you just have the one, before you rush to get more (since you say you really like the fish), be warned...this fish can get feisty with its own. Males and females must select their partners and bond; any female and male put together may or (more often) may not bond, and won't last long together if they do not bond. Two or more males may fight to the death of the subordinate, depending upon the tank space and the individual fish.

They also need warmth, higher temperatures than many other tropical fish can handle long-term. Temperature range is 27-30C/80-86F, and they generally do better in the mid-upper end. There is a Paracheirodon innesi (neon tetra) in the photo, and this species cannot last long at such high temperatures, it needs a range of 21-25C/70-77F. I don't know what other species are in this tank, but temperature is crucial when it is this much of a difference. Temperature drives a fish's metabolism, so it affects the internal life processes.

Hope this is of use.

Thank you for your detailed reply @Byron ! I had no idea that my fish had such a large difference in temperature requirements or that this little guy could be aggressive with more of his own species- he's so calm most of the time. There's also three cory catfish, one wood shrimp and four guppies. I might have to do some switching around in that case so that they're all in the right environment.

Thank you for your detailed reply @Byron ! I had no idea that my fish had such a large difference in temperature requirements or that this little guy could be aggressive with more of his own species- he's so calm most of the time. There's also three cory catfish, one wood shrimp and four guppies. I might have to do some switching around in that case so that they're all in the right environment.

Rams tend to be quite docile with other species, it is being with their own that is risky. Aside from the temperature issue, this fish should not be problematic...though there is never a guarantee. But the warmth is significant for the fish's well being.

Corydoras catfish need cooler temperatures than the ram must have, and the cories would be fine with the neons, and the guppies too, in the 21-25C/70-77F range. I'm not a shrimp person, so won't comment.

Definitely a gorgeous specimen of Electric Blue Ram! In addition to everything @Byron said, I want to back up his sexing of the fish.

That is definitely a male and can be identified by (1) the relatively stocky, squared build and (2) the dorsal fin's first spine is black and much taller than the rest.

They are a social fish and do well in larger groups (pecking order is established) and if in pairs, they will readily breed. If it's a smaller tank, I would just leave him on his own.

Rams tend to be quite docile with other species, it is being with their own that is risky. Aside from the temperature issue, this fish should not be problematic...though there is never a guarantee. But the warmth is significant for the fish's well being.

Corydoras catfish need cooler temperatures than the ram must have, and the cories would be fine with the neons, and the guppies too, in the 21-25C/70-77F range. I'm not a shrimp person, so won't comment.
Ahh I see thanks so much for the temperature advice- I'll definitely take it on board

Definitely a gorgeous specimen of Electric Blue Ram! In addition to everything @Byron said, I want to back up his sexing of the fish.

That is definitely a male and can be identified by (1) the relatively stocky, squared build and (2) the dorsal fin's first spine is black and much taller than the rest.

They are a social fish and do well in larger groups (pecking order is established) and if in pairs, they will readily breed. If it's a smaller tank, I would just leave him on his own.
Thank you @kribensis12 ! He is most certainly a looker

Most reactions

trending

Back