Help Id Please, Guppy Or Endler?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pumh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i went to petco just to pick up 2 more ottos for my other one to not be so lonely. When i was looking though, they had this one tank labeled "adoption first" or something similar to that,with what i thought was only one bamboo plant and some moss balls, but when i looked closer i noticed that there were 2 fish in there. I new that they were indeed live bearers for a couple reasons, first off the 2 they had one was a female and th other was a male with its gonopodium and that they looked like guppies/endlers. now for my question, what are they? guppy or endler?
here's the male, he's about 1/4"-1/2"
endler-male pic1.JPGendler-male pic2.JPG
now here's the female, she's bigger and about 3/4"-1"
endler-female pic1.JPGendler-female pic2.JPGendler-female pic3.JPG
sorry for the quality and size of the pictures. thanks in advance.

how can you tell? not that i don't trust you guys, but since you have answers contradicting i'd just like to see some more peoples thoughts too. any other opinions?

They look like 100% wild/feral guppies to me aswell.

Missy x.

20 years of experience my friend.

Small shoulder spot is more guppy trate but not 100%
and colouration is not of a typical endler.

Even though 99% of enders are guppies or guppy crosses anyway, so finding true endlers is very rare.

okay thanks :) well i guess, so i don't have to start another thread i have a few questions about these now. so they are "wild guppies" so should i keep them "pure" and not breed them with anything else or "fancy" guppies or does it not really matter? i would just like to know how you can tell the difference for future reference. another question i have is from the pictures above can you tell me if the female is pregnant or not? and if so how much longer til she delivers. just a general question noe, when i post threads about them should i put them here or in the rare livebearers/are they common or rare live bearers?

Working backwards.

Posting in the common section is fine.

They give birth just the same as normal guppies every 4 weeks or so depending on the temp.

The outer 2 fish look to have await of 2-3 weeks or so but the middle looks close guessing under 10 days but it's not an exact science by pic's.

You can breed them with any guppy, cultivated, ferrule or wild. They will all happily breed and produce viable fry. However you never know what your get in the fry mix.
If you keep them together and breed among their self your have a close looking group, with perhaps the odd different colour depending on the family history of the fish.
But as for line breeding them this is your choice if you want to work with them as they are or not.

As for calling them "wild" you cant be sure unless you know where they come from, so referring to them as feral would be a better turm.

okay thanks a lot that solves a lot of the questions i had :)

Definitely nothing of the endler in those fish. They are some very nice looking, possibly feral, guppies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back