Help.... I Developing Mts

stormy78

Fish Crazy
Joined
Apr 7, 2008
Messages
255
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Birmingham UK
My first tank in years is up and running and I have the bug again..... so much so I bought a Fluval 800 of Ebay today (it was a bargin £25 with hood, lights and Fluval 3). I justified it as it was a bargin and told the wife it would be used in emergencies if we had a problem with the main tank, quarantine etc.... problem is Im already thinking about how I can set it up and what to have in there!!!

Im Stormy and I'm a fishaholic! :crazy:
 
My first tank in years is up and running and I have the bug again..... so much so I bought a Fluval 800 of Ebay today (it was a bargin £25 with hood, lights and Fluval 3). I justified it as it was a bargin and told the wife it would be used in emergencies if we had a problem with the main tank, quarantine etc.... problem is Im already thinking about how I can set it up and what to have in there!!!

Im Stormy and I'm a fishaholic! :crazy:

I'm heading the same way :) planning a 30L frog-only aquarium :D
 
Hi Stormy and welcome to the madness that is MTS. Im currently trying to cure myself of the same problem. I think we need to start an MTS Support Group lol
 
Hi Stormy and welcome to the madness that is MTS. Im currently trying to cure myself of the same problem. I think we need to start an MTS Support Group lol

Twelve step program:

Step 1: Acknowledge you have a problem.
Step - Oh, sweet, do you see the price on that tank? Where's my checkbook!
 
Cheers I think :S, well I have ordered a stand now as well so all in I managed to get a 130 Litre tank, Hood, Lights, Filter (will be replaced) for £70! Not bad as I have seen the tank for £130 on its own. We spent last night clearing a space in my 'boys' room (I'm lucky enough to have a football, Xbox, PS3 type room lol) so the tank is living upstairs.

Any advice on how to set it up without fully stocking it. I think I want it as a 'nursery' tank for my Apisto's if they get jiggy (both males are strutting their stuff most of the time to the females), so after doing a fishless cycle in there to get it up and running what do I add to the tank to help maintain the bacteria until I need to add eggs, fry, brooding parents, parents to be etc? I have no space to add the filter to my existing tank to allow it to mature in there. Any tips?
 
Just keep adding the same amount of ammonia everyday. Once you figure out how much it takes so that it's all processed w/in 12 hours it'll be easy to drop that amount in every day. Then when your fish are ready to move over, move then over after you've tested the water and it's good!

Or you could just move the filter onto the main tank after it's established. You'll loose some of the bacteria after you've cycled it in. You prob don't even have to cycle it, could just put it in the main tank and bacteria will start growing it naturally.

So I guess it depends. If you're only going to move a small portion of fish over to the new tank, then you could hang it on the old tank. If you're moving all of them, I would fishless cycle and feed it w/ammonia to keep all the bacteria. Then you wouldn't have to worry about a mini-cycle after they are moved :good:

-edit--

sorry, just read the part on having no room to hang it on. In that case, I would "feed" the filter.

Oh, BTW I have the fish bug too! My goal is to set up a marine tank...eventually making it a reef tank. And then a brackish tank w/puffers and bumble bee gobies....I'm a pretty good dreamer :lol:
 
when you want to set it up, take some mature media from the main tank and stick that in the filter. so long as you don't remove more than half the media it'll be fine.

I'm dying for another tank at the moment, just not got the room. :no:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top