Help Help!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

N1z

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My yellow tang has all of a sudden got oodinium i think,
Its breathing fast, and has got red on the base of the side fins and a bit on the mouth. Also my Dwarf angle is breathing fast.
Wot can i do!!! or they just all gunna die....
I saw cuprazin i cn use but well i havent got a hospital tank and a matured filter :S
Is there any way i can be nice to fish as it were or will they all die?

Will it effect my corals, shrimp,crab and starfish?

What are your parameters? Anyway of getting more oxygen into the tank?

Sorry i cant be of much help but if you can post details about your tank someone else can give you some help hopefully

You are going to have to make a choice :/ Treat the tank kill the parisites and all your corals and inverts
Remove the fish and treat them. But with no spare tank there could be a problem.
Or hope for the best leave the fish, and pray it is not Oodinium :crazy:
Imo the best treatments are copper based. So you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
If the affected fish die you would be wise to run a UV or Ozone on your tank to kill all free-swimming stages of parasitic life.

good luck!!

damn. well i think ill have to leave the fish to do its life :-( unless can u keep live rock alive just like damp or it have to be underwater? cos i cld probs get a spare tank from work, take out corals and inverts etc then just treat a empty tank full of fish yer?

I dont get it thgh i havent put anything new in! only a sieo 620 pump the evening before :S

wait wait wait no it can be easy to set up an emergency tank.... you get a little 8 dollar air pump,.... then a 5 gallon tank the plastic ones without lighting or anything, cuz there cheep and then you just get a little filter to attatch to the pump, then siphon water from your tank to fill it up as if you were doign a water change, only 5 gallons... and then add the water back to your tank from a ro unit or w/e your sources are, my lfs suggested this because its cheap and if you can cure it fast enough, then you can get them back into the tank and they will be fine... if the water is the same then they wont be stressed by that from the move, itl just be the size that they will be unhappy with but its worth a try if you know they have it, cuz ive heard it can save alot of types fo med to small fish and its 20-35 dollars,,,,, ;) ide give it a try... then just do a water change in the quick hospital tank like every 4-5 days .... i think thats worth a try.... better than death...

When you say you cuold take the rest of your stock to your work, why not take the sick fish to work and treat them there?

A 5 gallon tank isnt going to house your yellow tang, and he would probably end up carpet surfing. Another alternative is using a large tub you can buy from home depot/ harware store to keep bits and peaces in. Like one you store under your bed etc, just a little larger. (The ones on wheels if that helsp anymore?).

Use existing water from your tank, get fresh SW up to temps and the right SG, and transfer the sick fish (all of them for that matter) into the large bucket/tub and treat them there.

IE> A container like this....(but see-through).

yer good idea thanks. But i dont get it now though as i went too look at the tang etc this morning and well alll his red marks have gone :unsure: but still breathing a little heavy? could it be the parasites are like in the swimming stage again?

Who knows, but IMO they are obvisouly not well. Id take them out and treat them still.

Who knows, but IMO they are obvisouly not well. Id take them out and treat them still.
yer u are right there, i asked my work m8 shes done marine biology and says that it sounds like bacterial infection. so use melaflix as its reef safe even on like anenomes! and does as all round bacterial treatment. But now they are breathing fine now except my green chromosis. (lights aint on still as they go on at 12 til 10pm).

ok, went to my work and bought melafix and primafix, the prima does more wot i think ive got but saying that im just covering every thing so im safe etc. My fish seem ok except the green chromosis as he is breathing fast when the others are breathing a little quick but not to much of a worry as some of them are like barely moving them when i look but are healthy. so now all i can do is upset the corals with the treatment then see wot happens to my fish lol. damn its annoying!

Have you checked their gils? You might have a gill-targeted parasite. also, have you increased aeration?

Have you checked their gils? You might have a gill-targeted parasite. also, have you increased aeration?
how u mean checked? wot do i look for? kinda i moved the spray bar up above the water so its geting aireated then loads of bubbles are being pushed inot the water by the sieo, also got a pump just aiming at the water to create lots of water movement then have only the lgihts ontop no hood.

wait wait wait no it can be easy to set up an emergency tank.... you get a little 8 dollar air pump,.... then a 5 gallon tank the plastic ones without lighting or anything, cuz there cheep and then you just get a little filter to attatch to the pump, then siphon water from your tank to fill it up as if you were doign a water change, only 5 gallons... and then add the water back to your tank from a ro unit or w/e your sources are, my lfs suggested this because its cheap and if you can cure it fast enough, then you can get them back into the tank and they will be fine... if the water is the same then they wont be stressed by that from the move, itl just be the size that they will be unhappy with but its worth a try if you know they have it, cuz ive heard it can save alot of types fo med to small fish and its 20-35 dollars,,,,, ;) ide give it a try... then just do a water change in the quick hospital tank like every 4-5 days .... i think thats worth a try.... better than death...

I think you need to choose a new LFS and start doing some more research. Curing Ich is definately not a quick process and the ilness does not show symptoms 100% of the time. Fish being treated outside of the display tank need to be kept in a hospital tank for many weeks. Also having them in such a small environment is going to hurt more than help given that stress is a big factor in bringing on ich.

help my clarkii is now scratching its gills! def a parasite, but how it get it nothing is new in tank?!

Anything can live on a fish until the fish is weak enough, and then the ich, flukes (whatever) proliferate. Your water parameters are probably bad. You havnt told us what they are yet. If nothing has changed in the tank, no new purchases, its got to be something wrong with your system. IE, water stats, temperature, salinity...

Most reactions

Back