Help! Have I Made The Right Choice?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mattdillon100

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a new 20l tank and set it up for tropical fish. With gravel, filter, heater and plant etc it has 14l of water in it.

I bought a small angel fish, sunset colored platy, Congo tetra and tiny bristlenose. The guy at the aquarium shop told me he's quite sure they are all female but is not 100% sure due to the size. He was certain that the platy is a female.

They seem to be getting along fine but the platy seems quite timid and I think the tetra may be bullying her. She spends most of her time on the bottom of the tank under the plant.

I am also concerned about her spending most of the time on the bottom (even when not under the plant).

Please tell me I have made the right choice for my tank as they are all great fish!

Sorry, if I told you that, I'd be lying.

None of those fish are suitable for a tiny tank like that, the tetra will be stressed because it's a shoaling fish and needs to be in a group of at least 6 to feel anything approaching happy, the platy is too active for a small tank, the angel will grow too tall for the tank, the BN plec produces too much waste for a filter of that size to cope with. They are all stressed anyway from living in such cramped conditions.

The only thing, really, that can happily exist in a 20l tank is a betta (aka siamese fighting fish), or shrimp.

I really wish the guy in the aquarium shop was that honest. We spent an hour in there with him working out what will be right. About 5 Mons after posting the topic my platy died. I'm so upset with myself but Ithe guy in the shop sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I'm gonna buy a bigger tank for the other 3 and get a few more Congo's to keep him happy. I knew the angel fish would out grow the tank but I was told it wouldn't be for another 6 months.

Thank you for your reply.

No problem.

The ideal tank for congo tetras is really a 4 footer, although you'd get away with a 3.

If you can I would take them all back ASAP as it doesn't sound like you've cycled the tank? Read THIS to see what cycling is. I'm sorry this happened to you, unfortunately it's pretty common. :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back