Help Betta fish is sick

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Andrew#33

Reaction score
Hey guys came back from Vacation. My parents were feeding my beta was gone for a week I live in Arizona normally keep the house at like 78 with the AC but with us on vacation I bumped it up to 83 I don't know if this caused the fish to get distressed. I came home and this morning I discovered what appeared to be like worms in the tank I checked the filter there was these red looking words and then I saw like a light brown worm swimming in the bottom of the tank and my fish his face was swelled up and it looks like he had some abrasion on top of his head and then I also noticed his stomach seemed to be swollen. I went out to PetSmart and got him some stuff The worker recommended which was tetra lifeguard all in one treatment.
Please let me know if there's anything else I can do this fishes my 3-year-olds.

Attachments

• 20210522_140754.jpg
    20210522_140754.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210522_140248.jpg
    20210522_140248.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210522_153219.jpg
    20210522_153219.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210522_203138.jpg
    20210522_203138.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 88
What do you feed him? Is he still eating? Does he have any white stringy poops? Worms are usually an internal parasite. There are several different types but I think roundworms are brownish red. Levamisole is a dewormer for roundworms. Flubendazole, treats both types of internal worms. If it is internal parasites the lifeguard is probably not going to treat them as it isn't a dewormer

What do you feed him? Is he still eating? Does he have any white stringy poops? Worms are usually an internal parasite. There are several different types but I think roundworms are brownish red. Levamisole is a dewormer for roundworms. Flubendazole, treats both types of internal worms. If it is internal parasites the lifeguard is probably not going to treat them as it isn't a dewormer
Hey PorshaF
He hasn't been eating and give him the pellets. I haven't seen any stringy poop from him. Ok that makes sense these worms were found in the tank. I seen alot caught in the filter the red ones. I just took a screenshot of the video of the red looking ones. The brown ones are there too.. What do think is exactly going on with him? Is the bump before his tail the worms inside? Or is he bloated??
Thank you for your help appreciate this!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210523-122808_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210523-122808_Gallery.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 74
Do the worms(you can see closer than i) look like this screenshot I took? Do you have midges where you live? They're fly relatives but looks like mosquitos. I feel like they are larvae, after seeing your picture of the filter pad. Which can happen actually- my aunt had some lay eggs in her tank before. I think it's from not changing the water enough after the eggs are introduced. I would take that filter pad out and start water changes. How often do you clean his tank? Though larvae would usually make good live food- you don't want him to eat wild things because of the risk of them being contaminated. Can you post a better picture of him? Poor water quality can cause a lot of problems, as can over eating. Both may have happened while on your vacation so it could have something to do with his appearance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210524-084001_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210524-084001_Chrome.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 66
Could be detritus worms from overfeeding.

Do a large WC, with a good conditioner like Seachem Prime or API Tap Water Conditioner...gravel vac as much as possible...don't throw meds into the tank until you know what is wrong with the fish...probably just needs clean water.

First rule of fishkeeping, never listen to what the pet shop people tell you, most of the time, they have no clue or just don't care.

Do the worms(you can see closer than i) look like this screenshot I took? Do you have midges where you live? They're fly relatives but looks like mosquitos. I feel like they are larvae, after seeing your picture of the filter pad. Which can happen actually- my aunt had some lay eggs in her tank before. I think it's from not changing the water enough after the eggs are introduced. I would take that filter pad out and start water changes. How often do you clean his tank? Though larvae would usually make good live food- you don't want him to eat wild things because of the risk of them being contaminated. Can you post a better picture of him? Poor water quality can cause a lot of problems, as can over eating. Both may have happened while on your vacation so it could have something to do with his appearance
Those look too big those worms on the screenshot you sent me. I've already clean the tank thoroughly remove that filter and threw it away in the garbage I scrubbed it with soap and water and made sure everything was cleaned out and put him back in there with a clean filter. But I already started doing the lifeguard treatment and they said to remove the filter and to shut off the UV lights. So today's treatment at 6:00 p.m. would be day three. I just turned on the lights to get a better picture for you of how he's doing He seemed to become a lot more mobile as soon as I put the lights on started swimming around a little bit but you can see better the stomach is bloated there. It's hard to capture his head.

Attachments

• 20210524_172146.jpg
    20210524_172146.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210524_172131.jpg
    20210524_172131.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210524_172120.jpg
    20210524_172120.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210524_172108.jpg
    20210524_172108.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 69
Could be detritus worms from overfeeding.

Do a large WC, with a good conditioner like Seachem Prime or API Tap Water Conditioner...gravel vac as much as possible...don't throw meds into the tank until you know what is wrong with the fish...probably just needs clean water.

First rule of fishkeeping, never listen to what the pet shop people tell you, most of the time, they have no clue or just don't care.
Yeah as soon as I seen the condition of the tank and the condition of him I immediately went to removing the nasty water and then getting him out of there and scrubbing the heck out of the tank and that's when I saw the little brown worm thing swimming at the bottom where the gravel's at and then that's when I also noticed the filter with the little mini red worms. I put him back into the tank with fresh water and change the filter but I did start doing the lifeguard treatment This will be day three today It's been lights out for him and it told me on the box to remove the filter as well He's not really eating I just bought some peas to see if he'll start to eat something I also was thinking of doing a Epsom salt bath??

Yeah as soon as I seen the condition of the tank and the condition of him I immediately went to removing the nasty water and then getting him out of there and scrubbing the heck out of the tank and that's when I saw the little brown worm thing swimming at the bottom where the gravel's at and then that's when I also noticed the filter with the little mini red worms. I put him back into the tank with fresh water and change the filter but I did start doing the lifeguard treatment This will be day three today It's been lights out for him and it told me on the box to remove the filter as well He's not really eating I just bought some peas to see if he'll start to eat something I also was thinking of doing a Epsom salt bath??
I just put the light on him to take some pictures Here's what he looks like You can see his stomach

Attachments

• 20210524_172146.jpg
    20210524_172146.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210524_172131.jpg
    20210524_172131.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210524_172120.jpg
    20210524_172120.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210524_172108.jpg
    20210524_172108.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 65
If you cleaned/replaced the filter, you will be doing a fish-in cycle; you will have to monitor water params, and do water changes daily, until the tank is cycled; read and understand this: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i.433769/

You need a good test kit, many of us use this one, I advise you to get one ASAP: https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit

Also, get a good water conditioner, either Seachem Prime or API Tap Water conditioner

After you get the test kit, post your results for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte here, and we'll help you get the tank cycled.

If you cleaned/replaced the filter, you will be doing a fish-in cycle; you will have to monitor water params, and do water changes daily, until the tank is cycled; read and understand this: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i.433769/

You need a good test kit, many of us use this one, I advise you to get one ASAP: https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit

Also, get a good water conditioner, either Seachem Prime or API Tap Water conditioner

After you get the test kit, post your results for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte here, and we'll help you get the tank cycled.
Thank you for the information I will go through it. Every time I change out the water I do put the API water conditioner treatment I do have a live plants in the tank. My question no I still don't know what do you think he has his stomach is still bloated Is it the worms in him or is it just overeating because the temperature dropped I only usually give him four pebbles a day. The water I've been putting into the tank most of the time is water from an ro system but then I put that water into a Nekken waterfall system that actually adds energy to the water uses charcoal rock at the bottom for filtration as well as a bigger filter. Which in a nutshell keeps the good stuff in the water and takes out the bad

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back