Helloeverybody, Setting Up New Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jeremy180

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello everybody, My name is Jeremy.
 I've kept fish off and on for years learning by trial and error,  (mostly error XC)

Recently I moved which caused my 29 gal to crash.....

I'm starting over now and have just begun a fishless cycle
(man, I wish I had info like this when I first started fishkeeping!)

I have a 29 gallon which is running an Aqueon Quietflow 30 and a Hagen Aquaclear 30 filter and have just added
6 ML of 10% ammonia.

I don't know my tap's exact PH yet, but I do know it's on the hard side, so I was thinking of something like this:
Mod Edit: (We don't link to that website here.)

This is just preliminary, though and I may not include the Bristlenose, depending on what the actual stocking limit is (I think that calculator may be a tad on the conservative side)

Jeremy180 said:
Mod Edit: (We don't link to that website here.)

This is just preliminary, though and I may not include the Bristlenose, depending on what the actual stocking limit is (I think that calculator may be a tad on the conservative side)

Oh sorry, I didn't know that.
I'll ask before posting any other links.
anyway, my preliminary stocking list would be:
8 Pygmy cory
4 longfin panda cory
1 male and 2 female guppies (allowed to breed until I have 10)
6 Ghost Shrimp
12 cherry shrimp
2 apple snails (1 gold + one albino)
and MAYBE a longfin bristlenose.

:hi: to the forum, Jeremy.

Jeremy180 said:
Anyway, my preliminary stocking list would be:
8 Pygmy cory
4 longfin panda cory
1 male and 2 female guppies (allowed to breed until I have 10)
6 Ghost Shrimp
12 cherry shrimp
2 apple snails (1 gold + one albino)
and MAYBE a longfin bristlenose.

TBH, I would only stick with one type of Cory, it looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing IMO.
The Guppies would be good, though I would personally not let them breed until they are at the desired number, the reason is that they will keep on spawning, you will most likely get at least 10 from just one spawn, then you will likely get bad female : male ratios and then they would crossbreed and IMO it would just be a disaster. It would be much better if you were to just buy the number you want, that way you can have to correct ratios.
You seem to be mostly stocking small fish, what about a school of dwarf/mosquito raboras? And then a centre piece fish that wouldn't eat the shrimp or small fish.

Blondielovesfish said:
welcomeani.gif
to the forum, Jeremy.

TBH, I would only stick with one type of Cory, it looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing IMO.

You seem to be mostly stocking small fish, what about a school of dwarf/mosquito raboras?
Thank you For the welcome. :)
Actually, I'm currently looking for a school of very small >1"(25mm) fish to replace the pygmy cory, but most of the "tinies"
(Including Mosquito Rasboras) seem to be pretty intolerant of water that's even slightly above neutral.

Blondielovesfish said:
 And then a centre piece fish that wouldn't eat the shrimp or small fish.

Hmm, I like the look of the Honey and Licorice Gourami, but from what I've heard the Honey's compatibility with red cherry shrimp is borderline at best, and the Licorice Gourami is pretty delicate.
Also, I've decided to take your advice on the guppies, would 4 males and 6 female be  good ratio?

The preferred ratio for livebearers is 1:2 M : F. So, if you were to have 3 males and 6 females then you would be good :)

If you were to choose the panda cory instead of the pygmy, make sure you have them in a school of at least 6, as they are a schooling fish.

I'm sorry, but I have no experience with shrimps and gouramis so I'll wait for someone that does to come along :)

Well, my API test kit arrived in the mail today and things just got a bit "harder" with the stocking list.
Tap ph: about 8.2
and my Aquarium, which has water that's been soaking with a good size hunk of driftwood for 4 days, has 
Ph: 8.0
ammonia: between 4 and 8 ppm (Don't worry, fishless cycle)
smile.png

Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: didn't bother testing
EDIT:
Does anyone know of a very small cory or other very peaceful bottom-dweller species that does okay in 8.0 ph?

As long as you buy locally, I find that most fish (as long as they're not wild caught) are fine in standard pH.

I have the same pH as you do (7.8 from the tap, 8.0 in the tank) and my LFS keeps most of their fish in the same pH, so as long as the fish aren't wild caught, I don't worry too much about the choice of fish and whether or not they will be alright in my pH.

I am fairly sure that Pygmys are fine, as I know someone who keeps them in my pH without problems.

You could always have a Convict Cichlid, either on its own or as a breeding pair. :)

Blondielovesfish said:
As long as you buy locally, I find that most fish (as long as they're not wild caught) are fine in standard pH.

I have the same pH as you do (7.8 from the tap, 8.0 in the tank) and my LFS keeps most of their fish in the same pH, so as long as the fish aren't wild caught, I don't worry too much about the choice of fish and whether or not they will be alright in my pH.

I am fairly sure that Pygmys are fine, as I know someone who keeps them in my pH without problems.

Thanks, that makes me feel better about my choices.

I've decided to update my stocking list (happily, most of the originals will do fine in 8.0 PH.)
10 Corydorsa hastatus (Tail-spot pygmy cory)
I've done some research on these, and it seems that they can tolerate a slightly higher PH than the pygmies, are not as shy as the pygmies, and share thier habit of frequently schooling above the bottom like tetras.
Not to mention I think they look better.
2 Apple snails (1 albino, 1 orange)
1 longfin bristlenose pleco, female
9 guppies
12 red cherry shrimp
6 ghost shrimp
6 longfin panda cory
any room for more?

EDIT:
the Aqueon filter has started making an ocassional soft knocking noise, should I be worried?
noexpression.gif

You want to have the two schools of Corys? It looks much better when you just have one, you can then have more.

As long as you're good on your water changes, you will be fine. Other wise, I would take one or two of the Guppies out of the stocklist.

Blondielovesfish said:
You want to have the two schools of Corys? It looks much better when you just have one, you can then have more.

As long as you're good on your water changes, you will be fine. Other wise, I would take one or two of the Guppies out of the stocklist.

Thanks, you've just given me an Idea!

Start of New stocking list:
10 tailspot pygmy cory
2 male (.75"), 4 female(1.5") Endler's Livebearer
3 male(.05"), 6 female (1") Dwarf livebearer, gold form
12 Red Cherry Shrimp

Now, I'm off to find other tiny fish that do well in hard water!
yes.gif

Jeremy180 said:
smile.png

That's too high, you should have about 3ppm ammonia for fishless cycling.  Too much will stall the cycle.

daizeUK said:

smile.png

That's too high, you should have about 3ppm ammonia for fishless cycling.  Too much will stall the cycle.

Hmm, then why does the calulator recommend 5ppm? (confused):/
although I think I will change some of the water, if for no other reason than the fact that the API chart goes up like this:
0, .25, .5, 1.0., 2.0, 4.0, 8.0
so really with a reading between 4.0 and 8.0 I have no way of knowing whether that's 4.5, 7.5 or anywhere in between...
so yeah, probably best to get it between 2.0 and 4.0, or about three like you said. :)

I see.
Well, I guess I'll do a 50% water change and check the ammonia level again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back