Hello!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lindat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct area but I'd just like to say thanks for letting me join your forum, and to introduce myself. I live in Middlesbrough in the north east of England. I'm new to tropical fishkeeping (about 5 months). I have a 180 litre tank with about 30 fish. Mostly barbs, (cherry, golden, albino, tiger, green), harlequin and neon tetra, galaxy rasbourus, a striped loach, Cory catfish and 3 dwarf gourami. And I am hooked on the hobby. Excuse the pun. Looking forward to getting to know you all and increasing my fishkeeping knowledge. I do have a question because I think I have found eggs in the tank but I'm going to have a look on the site to see where I should post. Thanks!;)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Just post the pictures here. If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

Welcome to the forum! :hi:
I was just wondering, aren't some of those barbs too aggressive to keep with gourami? I always heard they would nip the gourami's feelers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm not sure the stocking is very compatible.

Hi Lindat, I'm only about 10 miles from Boro :hi:

Re the eggs - where are they in the tank? Scattered loosely or stuck to something?

I agree with FishFanatic77 about the barbs and gouramis, specifically tiger barbs. These fish are notorious fin nippers. They need to be in a group of at least 12, and not kept with sedate fish like gouramis.

Can I ask, where did you buy the fish? I know quite a lot of shops in the Middlesbrough area and some of them give poor advice.

Welcome to the forum! :hi:
I was just wondering, aren't some of those barbs too aggressive to keep with gourami? I always heard they would nip the gourami's feelers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm not sure the stocking is very compatible.

Just post the pictures here. If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

Thank you all. The next morning after my post I spotted my male Gourami blowing the bubbles. I found out about bubble nesting and think this is what he may be doing. Although the bubbles are caught on things like the centre struts or plant leaves rather than in a nest. He is staying with them rather than in his normal territory. Now and then one of the females swims over to check him out. The bubbles are a lot less than in the nesting photos I've seen though.
I haven't had a problem with the tiger barbs attacking the gourami. In fact when I first got the gourami the male gourami chased almost everything in sight. It seemed like he was a bully in what was a peaceful tank. At one point I wished I'd never introduced them to the tank. I'd never had a problem with the tiger barbs til then but at this point they attacked a small female and nipped her tail. It seems to have calmed back down now. The female isn't hiding and swims freely with the others. From what I'd read about tiger barbs being nippy I wondered if the gourami were compatible but according to Pets at Home they are...
Thanks for your replies everyone. I'll keep you posted. What a fab site!

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

May I please see a close up picture of the eggs?

(Please consider the entering the July TOTM contest, by clicking the banner at the top of your screen. Thank you!) :) :thanks:

From what I'd read about tiger barbs being nippy I wondered if the gourami were compatible but according to Pets at Home they are...

Pets@Home is one of the worst offenders for poor advice. Please don't believe anything they say until you have researched it first. I had one branch try to tell me that the neon blue male dwarf gourami was a female natural striped dwarf gourami :eek: Unfortunately, the same applies to most other shops as well....

The best place for research is the site Seriously Fish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ This tells you the size tank a fish needs, the kind of water, compatible tank mates, behaviour etc.

As you are in Middlesbrough, I know you have soft water, and all the fish you name are soft water fish which is good :)

Pets@Home is one of the worst offenders for poor advice. Please don't believe anything they say until you have researched it first. I had one branch try to tell me that the neon blue male dwarf gourami was a female natural striped dwarf gourami :eek: Unfortunately, the same applies to most other shops as well....

The best place for research is the site Seriously Fish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ This tells you the size tank a fish needs, the kind of water, compatible tank mates, behaviour etc.

As you are in Middlesbrough, I know you have soft water, and all the fish you name are soft water fish which is good :)
Thank you Essjay. I will definitely look at that site.

As you are in Middlesbrough, I know you have soft water, and all the fish you name are soft water fish which is good.
Thank you for the info Essjay. I will definitely have a look at that site.

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

May I please see a close up picture of the eggs?

(Please consider the entering the July TOTM contest, by clicking the banner at the top of your screen. Thank you!) :) :thanks:
Hi PheonixKingZ my gourami was definitely blowing bubbles. He has now lost interest so everything's back to normal.

Most reactions

trending

Back