Hello

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

J

Jen

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I recently (for christmas) got a 30 gal. hex tank. I finally got it up to speed, and added some fish last weekend. I purchased 6 golden clouds to start. So far I have lost 2, one the day after I added them and another today. They both had the same gradual symptoms not eating and their swimming pattern looked kind of jerky. The 4 remaining are very lively, colorful and eating well, but now I'm worried about them. I had the water tested, it was all within normal parameters. The temp is set at 72-75 deg. I have an undergravel filter with a powerhead, and a biofilter. I also added a water conditioner that was supposed to help ease the stress of new fish. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, hi and welcome Jen :thumbs:

Sorry its a problem for your first post :(

Can you give us the actuall parameters of your water?

How were the fish introduced to the tank?

check with the lfs to see what the parameters of their water was like - it could be down to a difference causing shock....

watch for overfeeding.... - this with the introduction of new fish may have put too much stress on the biological filter - it takes time for the bacteria to build up when there's an increase in load.

If you can get us some of this info then we'll go from there....

hth :)

:)

Thanks for answering, the pet store has not been much help. I bought a water testing kit and as of last night these are the parms:
Ammonia .5
PH - 7.6 - I'm going to pick up some ph down tonight.
Nitrite - 0
GH - 10
KH - 6
I introduced them to the tank by floating them for 45 mins., adding a cup of aquarium water to the bag every 15 mins. They have no white spots, and I add aquasafe water conditioner with every water change and fish/plant addition.
They are eat flake food which I crush a little smaller 2-3x a day.
I added 2 small cory catfish this weekend. I haven't had any more casualties, but the water is somewhat cloudy. I have done a 2-3 gallon water change 3 times since last week. I don't want to lose anymore fish it's awful! I really appreciate your help. :)

Your ammonia ih high should be 0 even .25 is a little too high ive been told. This is a new tank?? I am not an expert so let the experts deal with it. If you post under fish emergencies youll get better and faster posts and Good Luck. This is a GREAT forums for learning. Ive learned more in the last 2 weeks than I have in 2 years of fish keeping. :rolleyes:

Welcome Jen,

Don't need to add anything as some good advice has already been given.

Glad to have you here and hope you enjoy your time with us.

CM

Most reactions

Back